Old 27-08-2009, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pete Stockdale Pete Stockdale is offline

Default Butternut Squash

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
I think your description of me as an expert in these matters very
flattering Des, but OTT. :-)

I've always waited until they change to something near the supermarket
cream/buff colour before picking. That signifies the skin has hardened so
they will store.

Personally I think they taste much better after being stored somewhere
cool and dry with good air circulation for a couple of months. Seems to
concentrate the flavour as it does with most cucurbits.

Would you therefore suggest that those of us with courgette and marrow
gluts,
would be better to store for a while to enhance the rather weak flavour
that
they have when eaten "fresh" ?

Regards
Pete