Old 27-08-2009, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Butternut Squash

I've never grown these before and I just bunged them in and let them go
rampant.
So I was pleasantly surprised today when parting the undergrowth that I have
seven (at least) quite big fruits....a couple are very big....when compared
with the average supermarket types.
Now I hadn't thought of it before, but how do I tell when they are ripe for
picking? They are all very very pale greeny-yellow.......not the
creamy/buff shade of shop specimens. So what's the test of ripe-ready ?

Thank You.....PP

Old 27-08-2009, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 27, 4:09*pm, "vsop" wrote:
I've never grown these before and I just bunged them in and let them go
rampant.
So I was pleasantly surprised today when parting the undergrowth that I have
seven (at least) quite big fruits....a couple are very big....when compared
with the average supermarket types.
Now I hadn't thought of it before, but how do I tell when they are ripe for
picking? *They are all very very pale greeny-yellow.......not the
creamy/buff shade of shop specimens. *So what's the test of ripe-ready ?

Thank You.....PP

Bob Hobden is the expert and he seems to grow them every year. From
my experience with normal pumpkins, if you want to eat them now, then
just pick them when you want as long as they are more or less fully
grown. If you want to store them (they can keep for months if stored
well), then they like to be left in the sun for a bit to go hard. The
skin should be good and tough. I have no real method other than wait
till they look like they have stopped growing, let them get direct sun
for a few days or more and pick when they seem hard. Bob will have
better advice I guess. I have kept pumpkins for 4 or 5 months after
picking and they were perfect for eating.

Old 27-08-2009, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Des Higgins" wrote
"vsop" wrote:
[...]

I think your description of me as an expert in these matters very
flattering Des, but OTT. :-)

I've always waited until they change to something near the supermarket
cream/buff colour before picking. That signifies the skin has hardened so
they will store.

Personally I think they taste much better after being stored somewhere cool
and dry with good air circulation for a couple of months. Seems to
concentrate the flavour as it does with most cucurbits.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 27-08-2009, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
I think your description of me as an expert in these matters very
flattering Des, but OTT. :-)

I've always waited until they change to something near the supermarket
cream/buff colour before picking. That signifies the skin has hardened so
they will store.

Personally I think they taste much better after being stored somewhere
cool and dry with good air circulation for a couple of months. Seems to
concentrate the flavour as it does with most cucurbits.

Would you therefore suggest that those of us with courgette and marrow
gluts,
would be better to store for a while to enhance the rather weak flavour
that
they have when eaten "fresh" ?

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 27-08-2009, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete Stockdale" wrote
"Bob Hobden" wrote ...
I think your description of me as an expert in these matters very
flattering Des, but OTT. :-)

I've always waited until they change to something near the supermarket
cream/buff colour before picking. That signifies the skin has hardened so
they will store.

Personally I think they taste much better after being stored somewhere
cool and dry with good air circulation for a couple of months. Seems to
concentrate the flavour as it does with most cucurbits.

Would you therefore suggest that those of us with courgette and marrow
gluts,
would be better to store for a while to enhance the rather weak flavour
that
they have when eaten "fresh" ?

Courgette won't store, not ripe, will just go soft and rot.

Marrows certainly will store, the flesh will turn a slight yellowish colour,
instead of being greeny/white, and have much more flavour. They have to be
ripe before trying to store and they will store for many months, we usually
have one at Christmas and in the past it was always that one I collected the
seed for next season from. Mind you, you need a strong sharp knife to cut
into it by then and be careful. Threw away the last two we had in store from
last year a couple of weeks ago and they hadn't rotted, just like cast iron.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 27-08-2009, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Courgette won't store, not ripe, will just go soft and rot.

Marrows certainly will store, the flesh will turn a slight yellowish
colour, instead of being greeny/white, and have much more flavour. They
have to be ripe before trying to store and they will store for many
months, we usually have one at Christmas and in the past it was always
that one I collected the seed for next season from. Mind you, you need a
strong sharp knife to cut into it by then and be careful. Threw away the
last two we had in store from last year a couple of weeks ago and they
hadn't rotted, just like cast iron.

--

Thanks for that .

I think I will carry on catching them young, chopping, turning to soup and
freezing.
Apart from those that we can roast fresh that is.

Regards
Pete

Old 27-08-2009, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-08-27 18:12:50 +0100, "Pete Stockdale"
said:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
[...]

Sprinkling of parmesan cheese on top is scrummy.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 27-08-2009, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete Stockdale" wrote after
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Marrows certainly will store, the flesh will turn a slight yellowish
colour, instead of being greeny/white, and have much more flavour. They
have to be ripe before trying to store and they will store for many
months, we usually have one at Christmas and in the past it was always
that one I collected the seed for next season from. Mind you, you need a
strong sharp knife to cut into it by then and be careful. Threw away the
last two we had in store from last year a couple of weeks ago and they
hadn't rotted, just like cast iron.

Thanks for that .

I think I will carry on catching them young, chopping, turning to soup and
freezing.
Apart from those that we can roast fresh that is.

Try keeping a couple of fully grown ripe Marrows, I think you will be
surprised at the increase in flavour after storage, skin, seed, cut into 2"
cubes and sautéed with butter and black pepper, superb. Totally different to
the normal "fresh" flavour.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden