Old 27-08-2009, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Butternut Squash

On 2009-08-27 18:12:50 +0100, "Pete Stockdale"
said:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Courgette won't store, not ripe, will just go soft and rot.

Marrows certainly will store, the flesh will turn a slight yellowish
colour, instead of being greeny/white, and have much more flavour. They
have to be ripe before trying to store and they will store for many
months, we usually have one at Christmas and in the past it was always
that one I collected the seed for next season from. Mind you, you need a
strong sharp knife to cut into it by then and be careful. Threw away the
last two we had in store from last year a couple of weeks ago and they
hadn't rotted, just like cast iron.

--

Thanks for that .

I think I will carry on catching them young, chopping, turning to soup and
freezing.
Apart from those that we can roast fresh that is.

Regards
Pete

Sprinkling of parmesan cheese on top is scrummy.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com