Old 27-08-2009, 11:37 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom[_2_] JoeSpareBedroom[_2_] is offline

Default Kale question

"OhioGuy" wrote in message
I've never grown kale before, but over the past 5 years I've found that I
like it more than any variety of lettuce for salads, and I buy it more and
more frequently. I've got a couple of questions for those who have grown
it
before.

I figured that I might as well try to grow it. I'm here in southern
Ohio, inside a large city's limits where the temp averages about 5 degrees
warmer than out in the country 10 miles out.

I bought kale seeds this summer, and soaked them to get them growing
quicker. I put them in a raised bed, planting them about August 15. They
sprouted marvelously, and I just thinned them. Most of the plants now
have their first true leaf.

Question is, did I plant them too late?

We usually have a first frost by the very last day of October, or first
week of November. I'm not sure if I left enough time for the plants to
grow. Of course, we could have a whole month left of weather getting into
the 80's most every day, and they do get a lot of full sun now that I cut
down the cherry tree nearby.

As other have said, they're tough. I'm in Rochester NY. In late September, I
cover the plants with fallen leaves to about 3/4 of their height, and put
wire fence on either side of the row to keep the leaves from blowing away.
This seems to be just enough cover to keep the plants from freezing to death
later. I've harvested kale anywhere from late November to early January,
depending on how evil a winter we're having. The plants don't seem to grow
much, but they don't die either. Because of the minimal growth, you might
want to plant twice as much to compensate.