Old 31-08-2009, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Badgers got my sweetcorn

On 30 Aug, 21:39, "Pete Stockdale"
wrote:
"Pam Moore" wrote in message

I picked about 6 corn cobs last week and was going up today to pick
some more. *Badgers had got there first. We've had the problem before
on the allotments, and earlier this year and last year they got
people's carrots.
Too late I realise I should have put a wire netting barricade around
my sweetcorn. *Those who did so are OK so far.

Once the corns have ripened - they should be harvested.
It is a risky business leaving them hanging around to *benefit the local
wildlife.
I wired mine but the meeces still had their share !
Not on Badger scale thankfully - my freezer is bulging *( ;-)

Regards
Petewww.thecanalshop.com

I have had the same problem with both Sweet corn and Carrots.
I find that if I water a strong solution of Armilitox around the crops
the smell puts dear old Brock off, the smell lasts for 2 or 3 weeks
and it is quite harmless, as long as you don't water over the crops
there is no taste carried onto the crop.

David Hill