Old 30-08-2009, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Badgers got my sweetcorn

I picked about 6 corn cobs last week and was going up today to pick
some more. Badgers had got there first. We've had the problem before
on the allotments, and earlier this year and last year they got
people's carrots.
Too late I realise I should have put a wire netting barricade around
my sweetcorn. Those who did so are OK so far.

Pam in Bristol
Old 30-08-2009, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
I picked about 6 corn cobs last week and was going up today to pick
some more. Badgers had got there first. We've had the problem before
on the allotments, and earlier this year and last year they got
people's carrots.
Too late I realise I should have put a wire netting barricade around
my sweetcorn. Those who did so are OK so far.

Once the corns have ripened - they should be harvested.
It is a risky business leaving them hanging around to benefit the local
wildlife.
I wired mine but the meeces still had their share !
Not on Badger scale thankfully - my freezer is bulging ( ;-)

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 31-08-2009, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 30 Aug, 21:39, "Pete Stockdale"
wrote:
"Pam Moore" wrote in message

I picked about 6 corn cobs last week and was going up today to pick
some more. *Badgers had got there first. We've had the problem before
on the allotments, and earlier this year and last year they got
people's carrots.
Too late I realise I should have put a wire netting barricade around
my sweetcorn. *Those who did so are OK so far.

Once the corns have ripened - they should be harvested.
It is a risky business leaving them hanging around to *benefit the local
wildlife.
I wired mine but the meeces still had their share !
Not on Badger scale thankfully - my freezer is bulging *( ;-)

Regards
Petewww.thecanalshop.com

I have had the same problem with both Sweet corn and Carrots.
I find that if I water a strong solution of Armilitox around the crops
the smell puts dear old Brock off, the smell lasts for 2 or 3 weeks
and it is quite harmless, as long as you don't water over the crops
there is no taste carried onto the crop.

David Hill