Old 31-08-2009, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Judith M Smith Judith M Smith is offline

Default Tomatoes (again)

I usually grow only Sungold - and swear by them - very successful -
in both green house and outside.

This year also bought a cheap packet of mixed (in separate
mini-packets) from a supermarket - unbranded.

POMODORO
MARMANDE
TIGERELLA
ALICANTE
GARDENERS DELIGHT

They were all treated in exactly the same way as sungold - seeding,
watering, potting on etc etc.

All of the five newcomers leave much to be desired.

They are typically two weeks behind the sun-gold in flowering and
ripening.

There are no really tasty ones - some of the pomodora look OK on
outside - nice colour - quite firm - but are actually black inside.

I wondered if it was the fact that the mixture were a cheap bag from a
supermarket - sungold were Suttons

I have heard many swear by Alicante and Gardeners Delight - but I will
need persuading to try them again next year.

I would be interested in other's experience of those types I tried -
and also is it better not to use unbranded seeds.

Does seed quality vary that much depending on where you get them?