Old 31-08-2009, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tomatoes (again)

I usually grow only Sungold - and swear by them - very successful -
in both green house and outside.

This year also bought a cheap packet of mixed (in separate
mini-packets) from a supermarket - unbranded.

POMODORO
MARMANDE
TIGERELLA
ALICANTE
GARDENERS DELIGHT

They were all treated in exactly the same way as sungold - seeding,
watering, potting on etc etc.

All of the five newcomers leave much to be desired.

They are typically two weeks behind the sun-gold in flowering and
ripening.

There are no really tasty ones - some of the pomodora look OK on
outside - nice colour - quite firm - but are actually black inside.

I wondered if it was the fact that the mixture were a cheap bag from a
supermarket - sungold were Suttons

I have heard many swear by Alicante and Gardeners Delight - but I will
need persuading to try them again next year.

I would be interested in other's experience of those types I tried -
and also is it better not to use unbranded seeds.

Does seed quality vary that much depending on where you get them?
Old 01-09-2009, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith M Smith" wrote in message

Does seed quality vary that much depending on where you get them?

I believe that you have answered the question that you should be asking,
yourself !

It is not where you get them that matters so much, as compared with the
producer/supplier named on the packet.
I have never come across an unreputable brand retailed at any garden centre
or garden shop.

As a warning to others here, you could name and shame - what was the
producer/supplier
named on the packet and the supermarket name that retailed it ?

You could also let them know how unsatisfied you were with the purchase.
If they get enough grumbles - they will hopefully withdraw the item for
future years.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 01-09-2009, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

You could take the tomatoes you didn't like and throw them at the store
window you bought the crappy seeds at. Bring a few friends and beer and
make a party out of your displeasure.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-08-31 22:53:29 +0100, Judith M Smith said:

I usually grow only Sungold - and swear by them - very successful -
in both green house and outside.

This year also bought a cheap packet of mixed (in separate
mini-packets) from a supermarket - unbranded.

POMODORO

Pomodoro means tomato. ;-)) On the food group I asked someone about
the favourite tomato grown by Italians and the answer was San Marzano,
so I'd like to try that next year.

[...]

Yes. Which (IIRC) did a survey on various places and some had a truly
disgraceful germination rate.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com