Old 31-08-2009, 10:10 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Baby toads

Phyllis and Jim wrote:

Every year we get the toad chorus that sounds like crickets on speed.

Is this what yours sound like? [with a MS accent, of course.g]
http://www.midwestfrogs.com/media/comptoadfs.mov

Then, in late summer, we begin to get the army of toadlets. They have
just begun their exodus from the ponds. Little tiny guys hopping
away. I am always glad when they begin appearing just after I have
cut the grass...as this year. Every day now, I see the tiny hoppers
supplying the neighborhood with bug catchers.

Cool-- Our toads in NY got out the pond the end of June.
http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/l...orldJune25.jpg
http://s289.photobucket.com/albums/l...e/IMG_5079.jpg
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...e/IMG_5096.jpg

Found one on the lawn Aug. 5th. He wouldn't stay in my hand for a
picture so I chased him around our patio with my camera.g
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...e/August05.jpg

Must be in NY they have to get going so their big enough to survive
winter. Our first frost averages mid-September & the bug population
drops severely from then on.

Jim