Old 01-09-2009, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Tomatoes (again)

On 2009-08-31 22:53:29 +0100, Judith M Smith said:

I usually grow only Sungold - and swear by them - very successful -
in both green house and outside.

This year also bought a cheap packet of mixed (in separate
mini-packets) from a supermarket - unbranded.

POMODORO

Pomodoro means tomato. ;-)) On the food group I asked someone about
the favourite tomato grown by Italians and the answer was San Marzano,
so I'd like to try that next year.

MARMANDE
TIGERELLA
ALICANTE
GARDENERS DELIGHT

They were all treated in exactly the same way as sungold - seeding,
watering, potting on etc etc.

All of the five newcomers leave much to be desired.

They are typically two weeks behind the sun-gold in flowering and
ripening.

There are no really tasty ones - some of the pomodora look OK on
outside - nice colour - quite firm - but are actually black inside.

I wondered if it was the fact that the mixture were a cheap bag from a
supermarket - sungold were Suttons

I have heard many swear by Alicante and Gardeners Delight - but I will
need persuading to try them again next year.

I would be interested in other's experience of those types I tried -
and also is it better not to use unbranded seeds.

Does seed quality vary that much depending on where you get them?

Yes. Which (IIRC) did a survey on various places and some had a truly
disgraceful germination rate.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com