Old 16-04-2003, 11:56 PM
Carl L Rosner

Default [IBC] Begginner Tree

Rich:
You have been given some very good advice on a tree for indoors, but you
also have to consider the environment with which you will be keeping the
tree.

My choice would be a Ficus Retusa: it is a very forgiving tree indoors,
but you have to watch out for pests that will develop if the tree does
not have some moving air provided by a small oscllating fan. Even in a
bright southern exposure near a window, you will need some special
lighting such as fluorescents which should be placed as close to your
tree as possible for at least 16 to 18 hours (a timer is the way to go).
The biggest problem will be the humidity. Most trees do well with at
least 60% humidity, and in a home we usually have less than half. A
humidifier is also the way to go. I hope that these suggestions don't
scare you off; it is just suggestions that will keep your tree healthier
with them than without.

Good luck, and if you have a problem, ask away. That's why we are here.

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7
http://bmee.net/rosner
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48

Rich Conley wrote:

Looking for one. Live in Mass, want something tropical, but not too
expensive. If posibble, something that will grow all year round indoors.

This will be my first tree...any ideas?

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++