Old 16-04-2003, 10:20 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] Begginner Tree

Rich Conley wrote:

Looking for one. Live in Mass, want something tropical, but not too
expensive. If posibble, something that will grow all year round indoors.

This will be my first tree...any ideas?

Ficus. Ficus "Too Little" in particular is good. ANy tropical will do better
outdoors at least for the summer.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 16-04-2003, 10:56 PM
Jim Lewis

Looking for one. Live in Mass, want something tropical, but not
too
expensive. If posibble, something that will grow all year round

indoors.

This will be my first tree...any ideas?

Ficus benjamina or Ficus nerifolia

frittered away by detail . . . . Simplify! Simplify. -

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 16-04-2003, 10:56 PM
James Harris

I have several indoor tropicals. Although I do put them outdoors in the summer. I would suggest any of the Ficus varieties, Schefflera, Fukien Tea (watch out for aphids on these), Chinese Elm, Chinese Sweet Plum. I would also suggest the following books: I
ndoor Bonsai by Paul Lesniewicz , Bonsai Survival Manual: Tree-By-Tree Guide to Buying, Maintaining, and Problem Solving by Colin Lewis . These books (amoung other) have been especially helpful to me in growing bonsai.

Good luck and happy bonsai :-)

Jim Harris
S.E. Michigan, Zone 5b

Rich Conley 4/16/03 3:36:38 PM

Old 16-04-2003, 11:56 PM
Carl L Rosner

Rich:
You have been given some very good advice on a tree for indoors, but you
also have to consider the environment with which you will be keeping the
tree.

My choice would be a Ficus Retusa: it is a very forgiving tree indoors,
but you have to watch out for pests that will develop if the tree does
not have some moving air provided by a small oscllating fan. Even in a
bright southern exposure near a window, you will need some special
lighting such as fluorescents which should be placed as close to your
tree as possible for at least 16 to 18 hours (a timer is the way to go).
The biggest problem will be the humidity. Most trees do well with at
least 60% humidity, and in a home we usually have less than half. A
humidifier is also the way to go. I hope that these suggestions don't
scare you off; it is just suggestions that will keep your tree healthier
with them than without.

Good luck, and if you have a problem, ask away. That's why we are here.

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7
http://bmee.net/rosner
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48

Old 17-04-2003, 02:44 PM
Carl L Rosner

Dear Rich:
I would try at least two! In my mnd I think you will fnd you need more
light, but it is a start. I stll sugguest a small fan for movng the air
in the room. The fact that the humidity is higher than the rest of the
house is a good sign... Good luck. If you are observant, the tree wll
tell you if it is happy. Just watch the leaves!!! :-)

Carl L. Rosner

Richard Conley wrote:

I keep tropical fish, and with them aquarium plants, so I am no
stranger to the need for lights etc. That being said, because of the
tanks, the humidity in my room actually stays pretty high. I do not
know any numbers (%s), but you can feel it when you walk in the room.

How much light do I need? would an 18" fluorescent strip work? (15 w I
believe..daylight bulb) or maybe 2.. any advice is great

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Dig up tree root from large Cedar tree without Killing Tree? Albert[_4_] Gardening 8 12-08-2008 01:37 PM
Botany Begginner abha Plant Science 0 26-02-2008 08:06 AM
complete begginner needing help with blue hyacinth natasha Gardening 0 11-04-2007 04:26 PM
[IBC] Hackberry was [IBC] Creating Hollows ( Was [IBC] A little tree biology/physiology question Kitsune Miko Bonsai 10 11-12-2003 02:02 AM
Begginner Tree Rich Conley Bonsai 0 16-04-2003 08:44 PM