Old 05-09-2009, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Propagating heathers

In article ,
Rod wrote:

What do you have against layering? Just nearly bury your chosen plant
in ericaceous compost and brush around with your hands so the tips of
all the shoots are showing through and then. One growing season will
give you lots of strong young plants around your 'mother plant' that
can be cut off and transplanted without intensive care. Easy.

Also, if they don't take, you haven't damaged the mother plant very
much. I have never understood why books and articles written for
the amateur follow the commercial priorities for propagation
methods, and play down layering. In my view, it is the method of
choice for the amateur, and the others are needed only when it
doesn't work!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.