Old 06-09-2009, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emrys Davies Emrys Davies is offline

Default Wallflowers

"kerrygirl" wrote in message

Hello,

I planted wallflower seeds during the summer for next spring as
directed on the packet as they are biennial. I have potted them up
twice, they are now in 5'' pots. I noticed that some of the leaves are
turning yellow and falling off. Are they supposed to do this, are they
just going to sleep for the winter or are they dying. Should I protect
them for the winter. This is my first time growing seeds so advice is
most welcome.

I do not think that they are dying. They have probably been saturated
with water due to inadequate drainage or too much rain. Remove any
yellow leaves, make sure that there is proper drainage by placing some
crocks in the bottom of the pot and give them a feed. Raise the pots
off the floor. Also prod the soil with a thinnish spike to allow the
entry of oxygen and if possible remove them from heavy rain.