Old 06-09-2009, 12:14 AM
Registered User

Location: County Kerry, Ireland
Question Wallflowers

Hello,

I planted wallflower seeds during the summer for next spring as directed on the packet as they are biennial. I have potted them up twice, they are now in 5'' pots. I noticed that some of the leaves are turning yellow and falling off. Are they supposed to do this, are they just going to sleep for the winter or are they dying. Should I protect them for the winter. This is my first time growing seeds so advice is most welcome.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wallflowers

"kerrygirl" wrote in message

Hello,

I planted wallflower seeds during the summer for next spring as
directed on the packet as they are biennial. I have potted them up
twice, they are now in 5'' pots. I noticed that some of the leaves are
turning yellow and falling off. Are they supposed to do this, are they
just going to sleep for the winter or are they dying. Should I protect
them for the winter. This is my first time growing seeds so advice is
most welcome.

I do not think that they are dying. They have probably been saturated
with water due to inadequate drainage or too much rain. Remove any
yellow leaves, make sure that there is proper drainage by placing some
crocks in the bottom of the pot and give them a feed. Raise the pots
off the floor. Also prod the soil with a thinnish spike to allow the
entry of oxygen and if possible remove them from heavy rain.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bud Bud is offline

Emrys Davies wrote:
"kerrygirl" wrote in message

Hello,

I planted wallflower seeds during the summer for next spring as
directed on the packet as they are biennial. I have potted them up
twice, they are now in 5'' pots. I noticed that some of the leaves are
turning yellow and falling off. Are they supposed to do this, are they
just going to sleep for the winter or are they dying. Should I protect
them for the winter. This is my first time growing seeds so advice is
most welcome.

I do not think that they are dying. They have probably been saturated
with water due to inadequate drainage or too much rain.

Yes. I'd agree to that.

Remove any
yellow leaves, make sure that there is proper drainage by placing some
crocks in the bottom of the pot and give them a feed. Raise the pots
off the floor. Also prod the soil with a thinnish spike to allow the
entry of oxygen and if possible remove them from heavy rain.

As far as being biennial, I've been watching mine flower every year and are
the only plants that stay green during the winter, even with the snow on
them and temperature down to less than 0C.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:27 PM
Registered User

Location: County Kerry, Ireland
Smile

Oh thank you Bud, that gives me hope. Do the same ones come back every year or do you grow new ones ?

Old 07-09-2009, 03:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bud Bud is offline

kerrygirl wrote:

Oh thank you Bud, that gives me hope. Do the same ones come back every
year or do you grow new ones ?

Yep, the same ones, though I cut off the seed pods but some escape me and
there will be new ones popping up in the small area I have lined with
flowers.
--
Bud
Old 07-09-2009, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

kerrygirl writes
Oh thank you Bud, that gives me hope. Do the same ones come back
every

year or do you grow new ones ?

They are perennial, but many people discard them after the second year
because they may get a bit leggy, and it's so easy to grow new ones.

If you decide to keep them growing, it' worth cutting off the straggly
bits after they've finished flowering.

--
Kay
Old 07-09-2009, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K writes:

kerrygirl writes
Oh thank you Bud, that gives me hope. Do the same ones come back
every year or do you grow new ones ?

They are perennial, but many people discard them after the second year
because they may get a bit leggy, and it's so easy to grow new ones.

It's worth remembering they're brassicas and can suffer from things
like club root, so growing new ones and planting them out in different
places from year to year helps with that.

Anthony

Wallflowers - what do I do with them? Mr Lawes United Kingdom 2 23-10-2003 11:02 PM
Autum.Wintrer Wallflowers trevor.appleton United Kingdom 5 11-09-2003 05:22 PM
Wallflowers Scully United Kingdom 3 01-06-2003 02:08 AM
splitting up wallflowers? Keith \(Portland\) United Kingdom 1 10-03-2003 09:33 PM
Where can I buy Wallflowers now ?? groundhog United Kingdom 3 30-12-2002 10:42 AM