Old 07-09-2009, 09:39 AM
lannerman lannerman is offline
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy View Post
My dog has been eating the berries from this plant & I don't know what it is so I don't know if they are poisonous. Please, any help would be appreciated!

Here are some photos, sorry for the poor quality:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_Nos2htfza2U/Sq...2022.42.07.jpg - Berries
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_Nos2htfza2U/Sq...2022.42.18.jpg - Leaf
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_Nos2htfza2U/Sq...2022.42.28.jpg - Leaf again

The berries grow on green stalks that have small thorns on them (really small), they are black on the outside but red inside.
The leaves are about the size of an average hand & are waxy on the top.
It is a bush.

Thankyou in advance.
Hi, Gemmy, The plant is common laurel (Prunus laurocerasus) I know that the leaves contain cyanide and if crushed and placed in a sealed container will kill butterflies and moths quite quickly, as for the fruit, I am just not sure wether or not they would be poisonous but I would suggest that you talk to a vet very quickly.
Regards Lannerman.