Old 07-09-2009, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Roger R Roger R is offline

Default Apple tree problems

The apple tree in my garden is around 50 years old.
I am unable to identify the veriety as it doesn't seem to match the well
known ones, except to say that it is an apple for eating not cooking.

Each spring the tree carries lots of blossom, and once there were abundent
large apples, but in recent years the blossom has not translated into
apples. The leaves too, start healthy but soon turn brown and many fall.
Throughout the summer the lawn below is covered in brown crumpled up leaves
and though many remain on the tree, they do not look a healthy green
colour - compared to other apple trees in the vicinity.

This year there were only around half a dozen fruits little larger than golf
balls.

I read elsewhere that pear trees can live 2-300 years, but apple trees?
Has this apple tree reached the end of its life or could there be something
else wrong?

What can I check?

Roger R