Old 07-09-2009, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Apple tree problems

The apple tree in my garden is around 50 years old.
I am unable to identify the veriety as it doesn't seem to match the well
known ones, except to say that it is an apple for eating not cooking.

Each spring the tree carries lots of blossom, and once there were abundent
large apples, but in recent years the blossom has not translated into
apples. The leaves too, start healthy but soon turn brown and many fall.
Throughout the summer the lawn below is covered in brown crumpled up leaves
and though many remain on the tree, they do not look a healthy green
colour - compared to other apple trees in the vicinity.

This year there were only around half a dozen fruits little larger than golf
balls.

I read elsewhere that pear trees can live 2-300 years, but apple trees?
Has this apple tree reached the end of its life or could there be something
else wrong?

What can I check?

Roger R

Old 07-09-2009, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Roger R wrote:
The apple tree in my garden is around 50 years old.
I am unable to identify the veriety as it doesn't seem to match the well
known ones, except to say that it is an apple for eating not cooking.

I read elsewhere that pear trees can live 2-300 years, but apple trees?

50 years is old.

Has this apple tree reached the end of its life or could there be something
else wrong?

Almost certainly both. I would bet on root damage, probably due to
fungal infestation. If so, there is no hope in a tree that age.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
In article , Roger R
wrote:
The apple tree in my garden is around 50 years old.
I am unable to identify the veriety as it doesn't seem to match the well
known ones, except to say that it is an apple for eating not cooking.

I read elsewhere that pear trees can live 2-300 years, but apple trees?

50 years is old.

Has this apple tree reached the end of its life or could there be
something
else wrong?

Almost certainly both. I would bet on root damage, probably due to
fungal infestation. If so, there is no hope in a tree that age.

Thanks for your comment.

No sign of fungus or mushrooms on the ground surface, but on the theme of
root damage it may be worth noting that in the Great Storm of 1987 it blew
over at about 45 degrees but was pulled back upright with a winch. It
seemed to get over it, and although that was 22 years ago I could believe
damage from that time and age has eventually taken its toll.

If I want to perpetuate the veriety by cuttings can you point me to a web
site with some details of how to do it. I don't have any other apple trees.

Roger R

Old 07-09-2009, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote ...
Sacha wrote:

said:
Roger R wrote:
The apple tree in my garden is around 50 years old.
I am unable to identify the veriety as it doesn't seem to match the
well
known ones, except to say that it is an apple for eating not cooking.

I read elsewhere that pear trees can live 2-300 years, but apple trees?

50 years is old.

Is it really that old? I had a James Grieve that was 100 years old and
there are lots olf survivors of past orchards round here that must be
more than 50 years old. Perhaps it's the variety?

Probably, but also the conditions. Trees don't have a more-or-less
fixed lifetime, unlike mammals. I know that it's complicated, but
know only a few of the details.

Apples aren't long-lived trees, anyway. Mine was very old and was
about 55 years old - and succombed to fungal attack!

I think it may be variety dependant and position, micro climate, luck, etc
has an effect too.
I say that as a neighbour has a large apple tree in their garden that was
planted just after WW1 (it has the name of a nurseryman's son that was
killed in that war but I can't remember the name, shame on me) that still
crops well although it is a bi-annual fruiter now after being severely
pruned for the first time in years (decades) a few years ago.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 07-09-2009, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-09-07 18:41:59 +0100, "Bob Hobden" said:

wrote ...
Sacha wrote:

said:
Roger R wrote:
[...]

Interesting answers from you and Nick. I know that I was told re my v.
old apple tree that pruning of such old trees had to be done a little
at a time, not one fell swoop!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 07-09-2009, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote..
"Bob Hobden" said:
wrote ...
Sacha wrote:

said:
Roger R wrote:
[...]

If you had seen the state of the garden when they moved in you would excuse
their enthusiasm. :-)
I did about 40 trips to the local dump in my Defender for them.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 07-09-2009, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-09-07 19:10:01 +0100, "Bob Hobden" said:

"Sacha" wrote..
"Bob Hobden" said:
wrote ...
Sacha wrote:
said:
Roger R wrote:
[...]

Oh good grief - poor people! Yes, when faced with something like that,
I can well see how slash and burn takes over!

Old 07-09-2009, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
In article , Roger R
wrote:
The apple tree in my garden is around 50 years old.
I am unable to identify the veriety as it doesn't seem to match the well
known ones, except to say that it is an apple for eating not cooking.

I read elsewhere that pear trees can live 2-300 years, but apple trees?

50 years is old.

Has this apple tree reached the end of its life or could there be
something
else wrong?

Almost certainly both. I would bet on root damage, probably due to
fungal infestation. If so, there is no hope in a tree that age.

Nothing like being pesimistic, is there!

Why the hell shouldn't the tree continue to live and be fruitful?

Alan

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 7 Sep, 20:03, "alan.holmes" wrote:
wrote in message

In article , Roger R
wrote:
The apple tree in my garden is around 50 years old.
I am unable to identify the veriety as it doesn't seem to match the well
known ones, except to say that it is an apple for eating not cooking.

I read elsewhere that pear trees can live 2-300 years, but apple trees?

50 years is old.

Has this apple tree reached the end of its life or could there be
something
else wrong?

Almost certainly both. *I would bet on root damage, probably due to
fungal infestation. *If so, there is no hope in a tree that age.

Nothing like being pesimistic, is there!

Why the hell shouldn't the tree continue to live and be fruitful?

Alan

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.- Hide quoted text -

You asked about saving the tree as a new tree and identification.
Try these people, they may be able to point you in the right
direction.
David Hill

Apple tree growth problems Brob United Kingdom 5 09-07-2012 11:42 AM
Advice with my apple tree problems please alanesq Gardening 2 04-06-2012 02:22 PM
Apple tree problems. alanb Gardening 2 21-05-2012 09:06 PM
Apple Tree problems :-/ Donnie[_2_] United Kingdom 16 01-08-2010 11:02 AM
Apple tree problems Andrew Puddifer Australia 4 28-04-2004 09:02 AM