Old 07-09-2009, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Roger R Roger R is offline

Default Apple tree problems

wrote in message
In article , Roger R
wrote:
The apple tree in my garden is around 50 years old.
I am unable to identify the veriety as it doesn't seem to match the well
known ones, except to say that it is an apple for eating not cooking.

I read elsewhere that pear trees can live 2-300 years, but apple trees?

50 years is old.

Has this apple tree reached the end of its life or could there be
something
else wrong?

Almost certainly both. I would bet on root damage, probably due to
fungal infestation. If so, there is no hope in a tree that age.

Thanks for your comment.

No sign of fungus or mushrooms on the ground surface, but on the theme of
root damage it may be worth noting that in the Great Storm of 1987 it blew
over at about 45 degrees but was pulled back upright with a winch. It
seemed to get over it, and although that was 22 years ago I could believe
damage from that time and age has eventually taken its toll.

If I want to perpetuate the veriety by cuttings can you point me to a web
site with some details of how to do it. I don't have any other apple trees.

Roger R