Old 07-09-2009, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
alan.holmes alan.holmes is offline

Default Apple tree problems

wrote in message
In article , Roger R
wrote:
The apple tree in my garden is around 50 years old.
I am unable to identify the veriety as it doesn't seem to match the well
known ones, except to say that it is an apple for eating not cooking.

I read elsewhere that pear trees can live 2-300 years, but apple trees?

50 years is old.

Has this apple tree reached the end of its life or could there be
something
else wrong?

Almost certainly both. I would bet on root damage, probably due to
fungal infestation. If so, there is no hope in a tree that age.

Nothing like being pesimistic, is there!

Why the hell shouldn't the tree continue to live and be fruitful?

Alan

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.