Old 11-09-2009, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Abutilon ID

In message , Ragnar
writes

"Sacha" wrote in message
http://i26.tinypic.com/10nw6yt.jpg
http://i26.tinypic.com/282hiq.jpg

This is another plant given to Ray some time ago and he'd like to have the
name of it if anyone can help, please. It's a really wonderful Abutilon -
a gorgeous clear red and very strong growing. In the larger mass picture,
it's right up to the greenhouse roof. The leaves can be seen fairly well
I think and are a darkish green.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

I'm no expert but are you sure it's not a Hibiscus?
R.

I'm nearer an expert, and I'm sure that it is an Abutilon, and that it
is a cultivar of Abutilon x hybridum. However there a a great many
cultivars of Abutilon x hybridum, and identifying which one is beyond
me. It's probably not 'Nabob', wbich has dark red flowers. 'Ashford Red'
may be the commonest of the reds in circulation in the UK, but that has
3-lobed leaves. The same holds for 'Cerise Queen'.

Sacha could try eliminating the cultivars listed in PlantFinder and see
where that gets her. But many Abutilons are imported from Dutch growers
and aren't sold by British nurseries.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley