Old 11-09-2009, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Abutilon ID

http://i26.tinypic.com/10nw6yt.jpg
http://i26.tinypic.com/282hiq.jpg

This is another plant given to Ray some time ago and he'd like to have
the name of it if anyone can help, please. It's a really wonderful
Abutilon - a gorgeous clear red and very strong growing. In the larger
mass picture, it's right up to the greenhouse roof. The leaves can be
seen fairly well I think and are a darkish green.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 11-09-2009, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
http://i26.tinypic.com/10nw6yt.jpg
http://i26.tinypic.com/282hiq.jpg

This is another plant given to Ray some time ago and he'd like to have the
name of it if anyone can help, please. It's a really wonderful Abutilon -
a gorgeous clear red and very strong growing. In the larger mass picture,
it's right up to the greenhouse roof. The leaves can be seen fairly well
I think and are a darkish green.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

I'm no expert but are you sure it's not a Hibiscus?
R.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Ragnar
writes

"Sacha" wrote in message
http://i26.tinypic.com/10nw6yt.jpg
http://i26.tinypic.com/282hiq.jpg

This is another plant given to Ray some time ago and he'd like to have the
name of it if anyone can help, please. It's a really wonderful Abutilon -
a gorgeous clear red and very strong growing. In the larger mass picture,
it's right up to the greenhouse roof. The leaves can be seen fairly well
I think and are a darkish green.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

I'm no expert but are you sure it's not a Hibiscus?
R.

I'm nearer an expert, and I'm sure that it is an Abutilon, and that it
is a cultivar of Abutilon x hybridum. However there a a great many
cultivars of Abutilon x hybridum, and identifying which one is beyond
me. It's probably not 'Nabob', wbich has dark red flowers. 'Ashford Red'
may be the commonest of the reds in circulation in the UK, but that has
3-lobed leaves. The same holds for 'Cerise Queen'.

Sacha could try eliminating the cultivars listed in PlantFinder and see
where that gets her. But many Abutilons are imported from Dutch growers
and aren't sold by British nurseries.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 11-09-2009, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-09-11 15:29:06 +0100, "Ragnar" said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
http://i26.tinypic.com/10nw6yt.jpg
http://i26.tinypic.com/282hiq.jpg

This is another plant given to Ray some time ago and he'd like to have the
name of it if anyone can help, please. It's a really wonderful Abutilon -
a gorgeous clear red and very strong growing. In the larger mass picture,
it's right up to the greenhouse roof. The leaves can be seen fairly well
I think and are a darkish green.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

I'm no expert but are you sure it's not a Hibiscus?
R.

Yes but thank you.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 11, 3:29*pm, "Ragnar" wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message

http://i26.tinypic.com/10nw6yt.jpg
http://i26.tinypic.com/282hiq.jpg

This is another plant given to Ray some time ago and he'd like to have the
name of it if anyone can help, please. *It's a really wonderful Abutilon -
a gorgeous clear red and very strong growing. *In the larger mass picture,
it's right up to the greenhouse roof. *The leaves can be seen fairly well
I think and are a darkish green.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

I'm no expert but are you sure it's not a Hibiscus?
R.

It is Abutilon, I had one the same colour when I lived in England.
Unfortunately; it was given to me by a former colleague who has no
idea of it's origin.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-09-11 17:48:47 +0100, Judith in France
said:

On Sep 11, 3:29*pm, "Ragnar" wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message

[...]

Charlie and Liz Pridham have seen it and think it might be Ashford Red
but I think what I'll do tomorrow i take a leaf, scan it in and see
what Stewart and others think of it. It's such a vigorous plant in
the greenhouse and such a wonderful colour, we'd really love to pin
down its name.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message

Charlie and Liz Pridham have seen it and think it might be Ashford Red but
I think what I'll do tomorrow i take a leaf, scan it in and see what
Stewart and others think of it. It's such a vigorous plant in the
greenhouse and such a wonderful colour, we'd really love to pin down its
name.

I bought some of these at a local garden centre last year.
They have pictorial label describing the plant as Abutilon 'Ashford Red'.
The label also has a cup symbol indicating the plant has received the Royal
Horticultural Society's Award of Garden Merit.

As might be expected the label has no nursery name or other identifier as to
origin. I assume that information is a well guarded commercial secret.
There is a colourful logo, presumably of the label designer, of a jolly
gardener surrounded by plants and a robin on top of a fork handle.

If you like Ashford Red then you may also like Kentish Bell.
This veriety was available alongside the Ashford Red.
Quite distinctive with yellow hanging flowers half encased in red sepals.
The plant is more 'leggy' than the Ashford red but IMO is quite delightful.
Enter 'Kentish Bell' in google's Image Search engine.

Roger R

Old 12-09-2009, 10:56 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Hi, Sacha, this is a variety called 'Red Bell' and is very distinctly different to all those mentioned previously. I have grown it for many years and it came from the late Don Harris who grew them for Burncoose. It is very easy to
propogate, very free flowering and relatively disease resistant and is a very distinct red.
Best wishes Lannerman.
Old 13-09-2009, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"lannerman" wrote in message

Hi, Sacha, this is a variety called 'Red Bell' and is very distinctly
different to all those mentioned previously.

In what way?

[snip] ...and is a very distinct red.

'distinct' doesn't tell me how the colour differs from the Ashford Red.
Can you be more specific.

Roger R

Old 13-09-2009, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-09-12 22:56:18 +0100, lannerman
said:

Roger R;864244 Wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message
-
[...]

You mean you think ours is 'Red Bell'? I can't find a pic of that in
Google but here's some more pics. The colour is pretty good, I think:
http://i29.tinypic.com/330ac5s.jpg
http://i29.tinypic.com/2196pv.jpg

Thanks for your help.

Old 13-09-2009, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2009-09-12 22:56:18 +0100, lannerman
said:

Roger R;864244 Wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message
-
[...]

I have photographs of 'Ashford Red', 'Cerise Queen' and 'Red Bell' (as
labelled at Ness Botanic Gardens, Powis Castle and Threave Gardens
respectively). Of these 'Ashford Red' seems to be best match; the others
have more sharply lobed leaves, 'Red Bell' much more so, and 'Cerise
Queen' has a green calyx, rather than a semi-coloured one.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 14-09-2009, 12:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-09-13 18:54:34 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2009-09-12 22:56:18 +0100, lannerman
said:

Roger R;864244 Wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message
-
[...]

Thank you. I think that probably does clinch it. Liz and Charlie have
seen it and most seem to think that's what it is from photos. This is
not to dismiss Lannerman's ID because there are so many possibilities
but in the end, one has to go with the consensus of opinion. We're
really grateful to everyone who has contributed to this. Thank you.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

They gave me an Abutilon. NOW what? Felice Friese Gardening 1 30-08-2004 11:33 PM
Abutilon cutting someone gave me at Kew?? cross United Kingdom 3 11-09-2003 11:24 PM
Abutilon Marie & Wej United Kingdom 0 12-08-2003 10:37 AM
Abutilon AndWhyNot United Kingdom 8 26-06-2003 07:09 PM
Abutilon AndWhyNot United Kingdom 4 25-06-2003 08:20 PM