Old 12-09-2009, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Roger R Roger R is offline

Default Abutilon ID

"Sacha" wrote in message

Charlie and Liz Pridham have seen it and think it might be Ashford Red but
I think what I'll do tomorrow i take a leaf, scan it in and see what
Stewart and others think of it. It's such a vigorous plant in the
greenhouse and such a wonderful colour, we'd really love to pin down its
name.

I bought some of these at a local garden centre last year.
They have pictorial label describing the plant as Abutilon 'Ashford Red'.
The label also has a cup symbol indicating the plant has received the Royal
Horticultural Society's Award of Garden Merit.

As might be expected the label has no nursery name or other identifier as to
origin. I assume that information is a well guarded commercial secret.
There is a colourful logo, presumably of the label designer, of a jolly
gardener surrounded by plants and a robin on top of a fork handle.

If you like Ashford Red then you may also like Kentish Bell.
This veriety was available alongside the Ashford Red.
Quite distinctive with yellow hanging flowers half encased in red sepals.
The plant is more 'leggy' than the Ashford red but IMO is quite delightful.
Enter 'Kentish Bell' in google's Image Search engine.

Roger R