Old 13-09-2009, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default What goes on inside daleks?

Daddy Tadpole writes
In suburban and rural areas of sunny .fr, rubbish disposal
organisations give away or heavily subsidise compost bins. This is a
matter of pure economics, but I'd like to know in quantitative terms
what happens to the waste. Everyone knows that it takes a lot of green
stuff to make a little bit of compost; if you don't have much garden
waste, the bin takes years to fill up.

You can add a fair bit of cardboard and paper - most people have a lot
of that!

Bins used to have open tops, but now they all have lids. Ours are at
the bottom of the garden, which backs onto a wood. We alternate
houshold and garden waste, including some twiggy stuff.

If you keep the lid down, there are millions of irritating fruit flies
that never seem to come out. I also find large numbers of woodlice,

That usually means the bin is too dry.

--
Kay