Old 13-09-2009, 08:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What goes on inside daleks?

In suburban and rural areas of sunny .fr, rubbish disposal organisations
give away or heavily subsidise compost bins. This is a matter of pure
economics, but I'd like to know in quantitative terms what happens to the
waste. Everyone knows that it takes a lot of green stuff to make a little
bit of compost; if you don't have much garden waste, the bin takes years to
fill up.

Bins used to have open tops, but now they all have lids. Ours are at the
bottom of the garden, which backs onto a wood. We alternate houshold and
garden waste, including some twiggy stuff.

If you keep the lid down, there are millions of irritating fruit flies that
never seem to come out. I also find large numbers of woodlice, and the
occasional four-legged scavenger or resident.

I'd like to know what is the lifecycle of the insects; do any get eaten by
birds or voles, or do they just recycle themselves in the bin as organic
waste. A more global question is the proportion of waste that ends up as
methane and carbon dioxide.

Perhaps the ventilation holes in current designs are a bit too small, though
enlarging them would lead to more loss of water.

Does anyone know of a scientific study that's relevant to the usual
situation where you add a small amount of stuff regularly over a long-ish
period?

Old 13-09-2009, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Daddy Tadpole writes
In suburban and rural areas of sunny .fr, rubbish disposal
organisations give away or heavily subsidise compost bins. This is a
matter of pure economics, but I'd like to know in quantitative terms
what happens to the waste. Everyone knows that it takes a lot of green
stuff to make a little bit of compost; if you don't have much garden
waste, the bin takes years to fill up.

You can add a fair bit of cardboard and paper - most people have a lot
of that!

Bins used to have open tops, but now they all have lids. Ours are at
the bottom of the garden, which backs onto a wood. We alternate
houshold and garden waste, including some twiggy stuff.

If you keep the lid down, there are millions of irritating fruit flies
that never seem to come out. I also find large numbers of woodlice,

That usually means the bin is too dry.

--
Kay

here it goes.... Eroyee Orchids 8 07-08-2003 12:42 AM
There goes the neighborhood? D.W. Ponds 6 23-06-2003 10:20 PM
Bob Leverett Goes Nation Wide dstaples alt.forestry 3 12-05-2003 02:10 PM
Wildscape lady goes back to court 04/04/03 J Kolenovsky Texas 0 04-04-2003 04:44 AM
Pump goes on and off Just Me \Koi\ Ponds 11 18-03-2003 02:56 AM