Old 13-09-2009, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Abutilon ID

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2009-09-12 22:56:18 +0100, lannerman
said:

Roger R;864244 Wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message
-
Charlie and Liz Pridham have seen it and think it might be Ashford Red
but
I think what I'll do tomorrow i take a leaf, scan it in and see what
Stewart and others think of it. It's such a vigorous plant in the
greenhouse and such a wonderful colour, we'd really love to pin down
its
name.-
I bought some of these at a local garden centre last year.
They have pictorial label describing the plant as Abutilon 'Ashford
Red'.
The label also has a cup symbol indicating the plant has received the
Royal
Horticultural Society's Award of Garden Merit.
As might be expected the label has no nursery name or other
identifier
as to
origin. I assume that information is a well guarded commercial
secret.
There is a colourful logo, presumably of the label designer, of a
jolly
gardener surrounded by plants and a robin on top of a fork handle.
If you like Ashford Red then you may also like Kentish Bell.
This veriety was available alongside the Ashford Red.
Quite distinctive with yellow hanging flowers half encased in red
sepals.
The plant is more 'leggy' than the Ashford red but IMO is quite
delightful.
Enter 'Kentish Bell' in google's Image Search engine.
Roger R

Hi, Sacha, this is a variety called 'Red Bell' and is very
distinctly
different to all those mentioned previously. I have grown it for many
years and it came from the late Don Harris who grew them for Burncoose.
It is very easy to
propogate, very free flowering and relatively disease resistant and is
a very distinct red.
Best wishes Lannerman.

You mean you think ours is 'Red Bell'? I can't find a pic of that in
Google but here's some more pics. The colour is pretty good, I think:
http://i29.tinypic.com/330ac5s.jpg
http://i29.tinypic.com/2196pv.jpg

Thanks for your help.

I have photographs of 'Ashford Red', 'Cerise Queen' and 'Red Bell' (as
labelled at Ness Botanic Gardens, Powis Castle and Threave Gardens
respectively). Of these 'Ashford Red' seems to be best match; the others
have more sharply lobed leaves, 'Red Bell' much more so, and 'Cerise
Queen' has a green calyx, rather than a semi-coloured one.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley