Old 17-04-2003, 02:32 AM
RichToyBox

Default koi breeding

Margie,

I find that my koi like a full moon, usually May, and June. The babies you
are seeing are probably last years gold fish. The spawn will not be
unnoticed. The top of the pond will be covered with white foam, milt. The
plants will be trashed. And if you are out pond side before 8:00 AM you
will see the thrashing.
--
RichToyBox

wrote in message
Hi. I am new to this group. I have a question that I hope you all can
answer. We have about 10 large Koi and they are 4 years old this summer.
When can we exspect them to breed and have their babies? We just got our
pond clear enough to see and there are many baby fish in there about 1

inch
long but we also have about 20 gold fish. So, when can we exspect our koi
to start their "families"?? Any hints will help. We were surprised to see
the inch long babies today because we are just about 3 weeks into feeding
the fish and these are already 1-1 1/2 inches long. Do the gold fish have
babies with the ice on the water? We live in zone 5 (Southern New Jersey)
Margie