Old 19-09-2009, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Passiflora 'Sabine'

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote ...
after Bob Hobden writes
"lannerman" wrote ...

Hi,Folks, does anybody have any idea what colour is the Passion Flower
variety called 'Sabine'

I think you may be confused, Sabine isn't a variety.
His name is at the end of some botanical names because he was a
botanist......
e.g.
Passiflora caeruleo-racemosa Sabine

Sabine appears to have been a horticulturalist. He isn't responsible for
many botanical names, and they were published either in the Transactions
of the Horticultural Society, or by other authors.

IPNI doesn't have Passiflora caeruleo-racemosa Sabine, but their coverage
of horticultural hybrids (this would be P. caerulea x P. racemosa) is
incomplete. Since they omit this I can't safely assume that the lack of
records for other names in Passiflora due to Sabine means that this was
the only name in Passiflora that he introduced, but I think it likely that
this is the case.

This being the case, the plants under discussion should be P.
caeruleo-racemosa.

[Some time ago there were plants in circulation as Papaver Tatewok. They
turned out to be Papaver miyabeanum Tatew.(aki). This looks like a similar
case - the authority having been mistaken for a cultivar name, and the
epithet elided.]

Passiflora caeruleo-racemosa has red flowers. (Looking at a photograph I'd
narrow that down to deep crimson-pink.) But I can't be sure that they
aren't cultivars with other colours. (RHS Plant Finder has no entries
under Passiflora caeruleo-racemosa or Passiflora caeruleoracemosa, so it
doesn't help here.)

See the Wiki article on Joseph Sabine...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Sabine

and some more on the subject...
http://www.biologiezentrum.at/pdf_fr..._0753-0774.pdf

http://www.catalogueoflife.org/annua...cord_id=735428