Old 17-09-2009, 06:29 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.
Default Passiflora 'Sabine'

Hi,Folks, does anybody have any idea what colour is the Passion Flower variety called 'Sabine'
Many thanks, Lannerman.
Old 17-09-2009, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"lannerman" wrote ...

Hi,Folks, does anybody have any idea what colour is the Passion Flower
variety called 'Sabine'

I think you may be confused, Sabine isn't a variety.
His name is at the end of some botanical names because he was a
botanist......
e.g.
Passiflora caeruleo-racemosa Sabine

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 18-09-2009, 10:33 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden View Post
"lannerman" wrote ...

Hi,Folks, does anybody have any idea what colour is the Passion Flower
variety called 'Sabine'

I think you may be confused, Sabine isn't a variety.
His name is at the end of some botanical names because he was a
botanist......
e.g.
Passiflora caeruleo-racemosa Sabine

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
just W. of London
Thanks Bob, Yes I probably am confused but I bought a job lot from a local nursery labelled 'Sabine' and he did not know the colour, I'll just have to wait until they flower and sell them next year. (I Have 35)
Regards Lannerman.
Old 19-09-2009, 08:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

"lannerman" wrote ...

Hi,Folks, does anybody have any idea what colour is the Passion Flower
variety called 'Sabine'

I think you may be confused, Sabine isn't a variety.
His name is at the end of some botanical names because he was a
botanist......
e.g.
Passiflora caeruleo-racemosa Sabine

Sabine appears to have been a horticulturalist. He isn't responsible for
many botanical names, and they were published either in the Transactions
of the Horticultural Society, or by other authors.

IPNI doesn't have Passiflora caeruleo-racemosa Sabine, but their
coverage of horticultural hybrids (this would be P. caerulea x P.
racemosa) is incomplete. Since they omit this I can't safely assume that
the lack of records for other names in Passiflora due to Sabine means
that this was the only name in Passiflora that he introduced, but I
think it likely that this is the case.

This being the case, the plants under discussion should be P.
caeruleo-racemosa.

[Some time ago there were plants in circulation as Papaver Tatewok. They
turned out to be Papaver miyabeanum Tatew.(aki). This looks like a
similar case - the authority having been mistaken for a cultivar name,
and the epithet elided.]

Passiflora caeruleo-racemosa has red flowers. (Looking at a photograph
I'd narrow that down to deep crimson-pink.) But I can't be sure that
they aren't cultivars with other colours. (RHS Plant Finder has no
entries under Passiflora caeruleo-racemosa or Passiflora
caeruleoracemosa, so it doesn't help here.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 19-09-2009, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-09-18 22:33:34 +0100, lannerman
said:

Bob Hobden;864728 Wrote:
"lannerman" wrote ...-

Hi,Folks, does anybody have any idea what colour is the Passion
Flower
variety called 'Sabine'-

I think you may be confused, Sabine isn't a variety.
His name is at the end of some botanical names because he was a
botanist......
e.g.
Passiflora caeruleo-racemosa Sabine

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
just W. of London

Thanks Bob, Yes I probably am confused but I bought a job lot from a
local nursery labelled 'Sabine' and he did not know the colour, I'll
just have to wait until they flower and sell them next year. (I Have
35)
Regards Lannerman.

Someone may be able to ID it from the leaf if you can scan in a pic of
that. But the Passion Flowers that are sold to live outdoors in UK are
usually Passiflora caerulea and P. caerulea Constance Elliott. If
you've bought one for a conservatory, the choices are huge!
--
Sacha

Old 19-09-2009, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

Someone may be able to ID it from the leaf if you can scan in a pic of
that. But the Passion Flowers that are sold to live outdoors in UK are
usually Passiflora caerulea and P. caerulea Constance Elliott.

And even the latter is a bit tender for many/most places.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-09-2009, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote ...
after Bob Hobden writes
"lannerman" wrote ...

[...]

See the Wiki article on Joseph Sabine...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Sabine

and some more on the subject...
http://www.biologiezentrum.at/pdf_fr..._0753-0774.pdf

http://www.catalogueoflife.org/annua...cord_id=735428

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 19-09-2009, 06:43 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Hi, Everyone, I live at Lanner in Cornwall and prior to last winter when we experienced -9 C I would have said that our winters are extremely mild with any frost at all being an exception, that was the coldest its been since 1988. In fact the further west you went the colder it got, the epicentre of cold being around Penzance where they registered -12 C. Thank you all for your input, just for the record, I now have, apart from P. caerulea also the following, Constance Elliot, Amethyst (syn. Lavender Lady) Victoria (red) racemosa, Star of Kingston, Debby, and one which is new to me this year called Clear Sky, which is to all intents a more vigorous form of P. caerulea with much larger and more striking flowers
I have just noticed in Hilliers, that they list Passiflora x violacea as being synonymous with P.caeruleoracemosa Sabine.
Regards Lannerman.
Old 19-09-2009, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

[...]

I was wondering about the validity of P. caeruleo-racemosa, but didn't
have the relevant bit of the ICBN in memory.

So apparently there is a cultivar 'Sabine' (presuming that Menzel and
Menzel weren't propagating an earlier confusion of authority and
cultivar name). Plant Finder has P. violacea and 4 cultivars listed,
which would give some idea of the range of colours.

http://www.catalogueoflife.org/annua...species_detail
s.php?record_id=735428

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 19-09-2009, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-09-19 18:43:16 +0100, lannerman
said:

'Sacha[_4_ Wrote:
;864816']On 2009-09-19 10:35:42 +0100, said:
-
In article
,
Sacha
wrote:-

Someone may be able to ID it from the leaf if you can scan in a pic
of
that. But the Passion Flowers that are sold to live outdoors in UK
are
usually Passiflora caerulea and P. caerulea Constance Elliott.-

And even the latter is a bit tender for many/most places.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.-

Indeed but do we know where lannerman lives?
--
Sacha

[...]

You're not a million miles from Charlie at Roseland House Nursery at
Chacewater near Truro.
--
Sacha

Old 20-09-2009, 09:45 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Hi, Sacha, Yes thats right only about 3miles as the crow flies.
Regards Lannerman.