Old 21-09-2009, 07:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Omelet[_4_] Omelet[_4_] is offline

Default Wild grape question

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

We've tried using the fruit for
jelly and, it does make very nice jelly. I've also used the dried
vines for smoking meat.

How does that taste? I have a lot of them growing on my fence line and
had planned to prune the heck out of them this winter so I can get a
better grape crop this next year.

I'm just learning how to smoke meat in my offset smoker, so may dry the
vines instead of discarding them...

The French wine growers have grills on 3" to 4" legs, that they will put
over a fire of grape canes burning/smoldering on the ground and and cook
thin slices of meat.

Sounds good! This weeks smoke came out well. I did it over more mimosa
and a little bit of mesquite. I also made my first batch of Liverwurst
using a modified recipe from Rytek Kutas. It's the gods. :-) I'm trying
to eat more organ meats for health reasons and I like liver sausage
better than plain liver. Heart, I like as is but I brined and smoked
some a couple of weeks ago and it came out almost like lean bacon. ;-d
My Canadian Bacon experiment has been a complete success...

This is fun!

Ob gardening: The only crops I'm growing this year (other than herbs)
are Sunflower Sprouts on my kitchen windowsill. Water is just too
expensive, especially during this very bad and long drought.

The beauty of sprouts is that they are ready to harvest in 5 to 7 days.
Very satisfying as an edible crop that way. :-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe: