Old 24-09-2009, 07:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Wilson[_2_] Wilson[_2_] is offline

Default Pole Beans

sometime in the recent past Balvenieman posted this:
Wilson wrote:

Never heard of freezing before putting them into the dryer. Why would that be?

I should clarify that I was referring to "snap" or cut beans in the
pod, which have a high water content and a relatively impermeable skin.
As the beans freeze, the water expands enough to break down cell walls
so that they dry more reliably and evenly. Also, freezing can kill
insect eggs and/or larvae that may survive dehydration.

Gotcha, thanks. I don't use a dryer much, although I have one. I remember
stories of my great grandmother who said they strung beans with thread and
hung them in the attic to dry. Now, when I mention that to my mother, she
says I'm mistaken that they spread them out on sheets in the attic.

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3