Old 26-09-2009, 08:16 PM posted to rec.gardens
Sarah Austin Sarah Austin is offline

Default Elm beetle?

Phisherman wrote :

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 21:56:31 -0500, Sarah Austin
wrote:

We live in the Denver area and have some pretty elms surrounding the
place, but they've been getting holes in the leaves and some of the
branches and a few of the trees have been dying.

We had the dead ones cut down but would LIKE to save the rest if it
doesnt cost a lot. ( for us, we dont have much money )

Is it expensive to save elms like this from elm beetle?

I heard that with roses, you can plant garlic around them and it
helps keep bugs away, like a systemic? Will that work with elms?

I lost my elm 4 years ago. A forest ranger told me the mushrooms
that grow from the rotting roots are very delicious. Indeed there
are many mushrooms, but I have yet to get a volunteer to taste them
and call be back in a few days. I dried several boards from the
wood and eventually made two beautiful tables with drawers. The
color reminds me of chocolate.

Not sure what you can do other than contacting your local extension.
I have garlic growing in front of my roses (these are "companion"
plants), but don't think they are very effective keeping the insects
at bay. I know deer won't eat garlic.

I've used coffee grounds with much success on my roses.