Old 25-09-2009, 03:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Elm beetle?

We live in the Denver area and have some pretty elms surrounding the
place, but they've been getting holes in the leaves and some of the
branches and a few of the trees have been dying.

We had the dead ones cut down but would LIKE to save the rest if it doesnt
cost a lot. ( for us, we dont have much money )

Is it expensive to save elms like this from elm beetle?

I heard that with roses, you can plant garlic around them and it helps
keep bugs away, like a systemic? Will that work with elms?

Old 25-09-2009, 11:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 24, 10:56*pm, Sarah Austin wrote:
We live in the Denver area and have some pretty elms surrounding the
place, but they've been getting holes in the leaves and some of the
branches and a few of the trees have been dying.

We had the dead ones cut down but would LIKE to save the rest if it doesnt
cost a lot. ( for us, we dont have much money )

Is it expensive to save elms like this from elm beetle?

I heard that with roses, you can plant garlic around them and it helps
keep bugs away, like a systemic? Will that work with elms?

I'm not sure about how expensive it would be to save your trees from
the elm bettle, but I'm sure your local gardening store could help you
find some more information.
Old 25-09-2009, 11:58 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bud Bud is offline

Sorry, you're going to lose them all. Lost all ours years ago.
Old 26-09-2009, 01:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 21:56:31 -0500, Sarah Austin
wrote:

We live in the Denver area and have some pretty elms surrounding the
place, but they've been getting holes in the leaves and some of the
branches and a few of the trees have been dying.

We had the dead ones cut down but would LIKE to save the rest if it doesnt
cost a lot. ( for us, we dont have much money )

Is it expensive to save elms like this from elm beetle?

I heard that with roses, you can plant garlic around them and it helps
keep bugs away, like a systemic? Will that work with elms?

I lost my elm 4 years ago. A forest ranger told me the mushrooms
that grow from the rotting roots are very delicious. Indeed there are
many mushrooms, but I have yet to get a volunteer to taste them and
call be back in a few days. I dried several boards from the wood and
eventually made two beautiful tables with drawers. The color reminds
me of chocolate.

Not sure what you can do other than contacting your local extension. I
have garlic growing in front of my roses (these are "companion"
plants), but don't think they are very effective keeping the insects
at bay. I know deer won't eat garlic.
Old 26-09-2009, 05:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sep 24, 10:56*pm, Sarah Austin wrote:
We live in the Denver area and have some pretty elms surrounding the
place, but they've been getting holes in the leaves and some of the
branches and a few of the trees have been dying.

We had the dead ones cut down but would LIKE to save the rest if it doesnt
cost a lot. ( for us, we dont have much money )

Is it expensive to save elms like this from elm beetle?

I heard that with roses, you can plant garlic around them and it helps
keep bugs away, like a systemic? Will that work with elms?

Unfortunately here in Michigan we have been dealing with this epidemic
for quite a while. The spread is very difficult to contain. We can not
move any of the wood from cut trees, actually the tres cut by the
state are all brought to a special shredding station.

Old 26-09-2009, 08:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

I've used coffee grounds with much success on my roses.

Old 26-09-2009, 08:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

We live in the Denver area and have some pretty elms surrounding the
place, but they've been getting holes in the leaves and some of the
branches and a few of the trees have been dying.

We had the dead ones cut down but would LIKE to save the rest if it
doesnt cost a lot. ( for us, we dont have much money )

Is it expensive to save elms like this from elm beetle?

I heard that with roses, you can plant garlic around them and it
helps keep bugs away, like a systemic? Will that work with elms?

Sarah:

Try the Colorado State University site:

http://www.googlesyndicatedsearch.co...sa=Site+Search

and for more specific information call your County Agriculture Extension
Service.

You might also get information from the Denver Botanic Garden.

I believe I have read that Denver has an official city arborist. If
you live in the city limits of Denver you can probably get information
from his offce.

gloria p