Old 27-09-2009, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Dispposing of a walnut tree?

In article ,
David in Normandy wrote:
wrote:

If you do prune it, DON'T prune it in late winter to midsummer - it
bleeds badly. And DO do it properly, or it will get fungal infection
and become dangerous and/or die.

I chopped off some low branches on mine early Spring and I thought it
was never going to stop bleeding! It carried on for a week or two! Looks
like I need to heed your warning too about the fungal infection - don't
want to lose the tree, not that we get many nuts off it. Any
recommendations other than wiping the bow-saw blade with neat
disinfectant first? Maybe some candle wax dripped onto the wound?

Cut it off close to the trunk, but outside the boss, and cleanly;
i.e. cut off the branch a foot or two out first, and then remove
the rest. I then painted the wounds with some very old and VERY
sticky gloss paint, but experts differ.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.