Old 25-09-2009, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Dispposing of a walnut tree?

I have a mature walnut tree which is becoming a bit of a problem and I'd
like to get rid of it, how can I find someone who would be interested in
buying it rather than consign it to the bonfire?

Alan

Old 25-09-2009, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-09-25 22:26:42 +0100, "alan.holmes" said:

I have a mature walnut tree which is becoming a bit of a problem and I'd
like to get rid of it, how can I find someone who would be interested in
buying it rather than consign it to the bonfire?

Alan

Alan, do you *have* to? They take so long to reach maturity and are so
beautiful.......sob! If you absolutely must cut it down, I'd think a
wood turner would be interested in it. I may be wrong but I think the
wood is rather highly prized. But do, do think again!
--
Sacha

Old 26-09-2009, 07:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"alan.holmes" wrote in message
I have a mature walnut tree which is becoming a bit of a problem and I'd
like to get rid of it, how can I find someone who would be interested in
buying it rather than consign it to the bonfire?

It would be an enormous waste to consign it to such a fate. Ask a local tree
surgeons advice on how to best rearrange the tree's growth to enhance it and
make it less of a problem.

Other than that if you *still* think you need to cut it down then perhaps
asking at http://www.timbersource.co.uk/ might yield some results for the
use of the wood. Might even be able to do a deal with a cabinet maker for a
nice piece of quality furniture in exchange.

Old 26-09-2009, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-09-25 22:26:42 +0100, "alan.holmes"
said:

I have a mature walnut tree which is becoming a bit of a problem and I'd
like to get rid of it, how can I find someone who would be interested in
buying it rather than consign it to the bonfire?

Alan

Alan, do you *have* to? They take so long to reach maturity and are so
beautiful.......sob! If you absolutely must cut it down, I'd think a wood
turner would be interested in it. I may be wrong but I think the wood is
rather highly prized. But do, do think again!

The problem, or one of them, is the damned tree rats which steel most of the
nuts, so leaving very few for my consumption, the other thing is that it is
really far to big for my garden, I have discussed the problem with my wife
and she agrees that it would better for us if it were gone!(:-)

It also overlapes next doors garden and they are not happy about it either,
I could I suppose plant another one in a different part of the garden, but
it would atke some time to get to the stage of the present one, but by then
I shall probably be gone anyway!(:-(

I could, I suppose, as some else suggested, just have it severely pruned,
but would it soon grow back to it's current size and be back to being the
problem it is now?

Decisions, decisions!

Alan

Old 26-09-2009, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 alan.holmes wrote:

I have a mature walnut tree which is becoming a bit of a problem and I'd
like to get rid of it, how can I find someone who would be interested in
buying it rather than consign it to the bonfire?

The problem, or one of them, is the damned tree rats which steel most of the
nuts, so leaving very few for my consumption, the other thing is that it is
really far to big for my garden, I have discussed the problem with my wife
and she agrees that it would better for us if it were gone!(:-)

Hmm. I suppose it's not possible to train the squirrels to clean and
bury the nuts in your garden. Our neighbour has a very large walnut tree
and that's what our local squirrels do - they bury them in our garden!
Keeps me in walnuts for the winter!

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 27-09-2009, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
alan.holmes wrote:

I could, I suppose, as some else suggested, just have it severely pruned,
but would it soon grow back to it's current size and be back to being the
problem it is now?

It depends on WHAT the problem is. I have pruned all of the lower
branches off mine, to provide 8' of clear space underneath (which
also lets the lawn grow there).

If you do prune it, DON'T prune it in late winter to midsummer - it
bleeds badly. And DO do it properly, or it will get fungal infection
and become dangerous and/or die.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 27-09-2009, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Rance" wrote in message
[...]

So please tell me, how do you find them, often even the damned squirrels
can't find them?

Alan

Old 27-09-2009, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 alan.holmes wrote:

Hmm. I suppose it's not possible to train the squirrels to clean and bury
the nuts in your garden. Our neighbour has a very large walnut tree and
that's what our local squirrels do - they bury them in our garden! Keeps
me in walnuts for the winter!

So please tell me, how do you find them, often even the damned squirrels
can't find them?

No, that's true. They can't. Sometimes we see them doing it from our
window. Otherwise we look for disturbed turf. Worth doing on a daily
basis.

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 27-09-2009, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David in Normandy wrote:
wrote:

If you do prune it, DON'T prune it in late winter to midsummer - it
bleeds badly. And DO do it properly, or it will get fungal infection
and become dangerous and/or die.

I chopped off some low branches on mine early Spring and I thought it
was never going to stop bleeding! It carried on for a week or two! Looks
like I need to heed your warning too about the fungal infection - don't
want to lose the tree, not that we get many nuts off it. Any
recommendations other than wiping the bow-saw blade with neat
disinfectant first? Maybe some candle wax dripped onto the wound?

Cut it off close to the trunk, but outside the boss, and cleanly;
i.e. cut off the branch a foot or two out first, and then remove
the rest. I then painted the wounds with some very old and VERY
sticky gloss paint, but experts differ.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 27-09-2009, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-09-27 22:21:45 +0100, David Rance
said:

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 alan.holmes wrote:

Hmm. I suppose it's not possible to train the squirrels to clean and bury
the nuts in your garden. Our neighbour has a very large walnut tree and
that's what our local squirrels do - they bury them in our garden! Keeps
me in walnuts for the winter!

So please tell me, how do you find them, often even the damned squirrels
can't find them?

No, that's true. They can't. Sometimes we see them doing it from our
window. Otherwise we look for disturbed turf. Worth doing on a daily
basis.

David

They've been going completely daft in parts of our garden lately -
never seen it before. We have around 6 scrapes on the tea room lawn
and 4 or 5 on the grassed terrace bit in front of the house, more at
the very bottom of the garden. We saw one from our bedroom window a
couple of days ago, scrabbling away in the middle of the main lawn.
But whether it was burying something, or looking for something, who
knows?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 28-09-2009, 02:48 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan.holmes View Post
I have a mature walnut tree which is becoming a bit of a problem and I'd
like to get rid of it, how can I find someone who would be interested in
buying it rather than consign it to the bonfire?

Alan
Much desired by cabinet makers or furniture restorers. However, it will need to be felled, cut into suitable lengths and seasoned, so your local timber merchants are the people to talk to.

You could try contacting online sites for cabinet makers etc, and asking them what they would expect to pay for good quality walnut.