Old 27-09-2009, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Dispposing of a walnut tree?

On 2009-09-27 22:21:45 +0100, David Rance
said:

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 alan.holmes wrote:

Hmm. I suppose it's not possible to train the squirrels to clean and bury
the nuts in your garden. Our neighbour has a very large walnut tree and
that's what our local squirrels do - they bury them in our garden! Keeps
me in walnuts for the winter!

So please tell me, how do you find them, often even the damned squirrels
can't find them?

No, that's true. They can't. Sometimes we see them doing it from our
window. Otherwise we look for disturbed turf. Worth doing on a daily
basis.

David

They've been going completely daft in parts of our garden lately -
never seen it before. We have around 6 scrapes on the tea room lawn
and 4 or 5 on the grassed terrace bit in front of the house, more at
the very bottom of the garden. We saw one from our bedroom window a
couple of days ago, scrabbling away in the middle of the main lawn.
But whether it was burying something, or looking for something, who
knows?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com