Old 28-09-2009, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default plant ID please

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
Mark wrote:
Sacha wrote:

http://i34.tinypic.com/29fpafn.jpg
this plant is growing in my daughters new garden
i seem to remember seeing this on the local news as being poisonous.
can anyone positively ID it for me please.

Thornapple, Datura stramonium, I'd guess. Unless she eats it or sticks
her hands in her mouth having dug it up and burned it, it won't harm
her. But yes, it's poisonous but to be honest, so are many garden
plants. ...

Thanks for your help, not quite as deadly as the TV suggested
also found this, as you kindly gave it a name?
http://tinyurl.com/mx9ta7

we are all doomed! if you believe the TV and newspapers

If young children have access to the plant I would pull it up now. Children
are very sensitive to atropine-like alkaloids.

Oh, God, nanny them harder :-(

Once you leave Pudding Island and head south, it becomes one of the
most common casual weeds - it was ubiquitous where I grew up, and
I never even heard of anyone having trouble. There are FAR more
dangerous plants (to very young children) that are widely grown or
self-sown in British gardens.

For example, most of the sumachs and Euphorbias (including that
pestilential nuisance petty spurge) can cause permanent eye damage
if a child gets sap onto their hands and then rubs their eyes.
But even that almost never happens.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.