Old 27-09-2009, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default plant ID please

http://i34.tinypic.com/29fpafn.jpg
this plant is growing in my daughters new garden
i seem to remember seeing this on the local news as being poisonous.
can anyone positively ID it for me please.

thanks

Old 27-09-2009, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-09-27 23:08:28 +0100, Mark said:

http://i34.tinypic.com/29fpafn.jpg
this plant is growing in my daughters new garden
i seem to remember seeing this on the local news as being poisonous.
can anyone positively ID it for me please.

thanks

Thornapple, Datura stramonium, I'd guess. Unless she eats it or sticks
her hands in her mouth having dug it up and burned it, it won't harm
her. But yes, it's poisonous but to be honest, so are many garden
plants. In fact, an extract of it has been shown to halt the growth of
some brain tumours. Apparently, it sometimes arrives in bird seed. A
neighbour of ours had it on his allotment about 2 years ago and asked
us to ID it and it's nothing like as rare as sensational newspaper
articles would like us to believe. Chuck it onto the bonfire before it
seeds itself around. Its ornamental cousins are popular Daturas known
as Angel's Trumpets.
You might find this site interesting
http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants....ura+stramonium
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 28-09-2009, 12:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-09-27 23:08:28 +0100, Mark said:

[...]

Thanks for your help, not quite as deadly as the TV suggested
also found this, as you kindly gave it a name?
http://tinyurl.com/mx9ta7

we are all doomed! if you believe the TV and newspapers

Old 28-09-2009, 07:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-09-27 23:08:28 +0100, Mark said:

[...]

If young children have access to the plant I would pull it up now. Children
are very sensitive to atropine-like alkaloids.

--
Jeff

Old 28-09-2009, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
Mark wrote:
Sacha wrote:

http://i34.tinypic.com/29fpafn.jpg
this plant is growing in my daughters new garden
i seem to remember seeing this on the local news as being poisonous.
can anyone positively ID it for me please.

Thornapple, Datura stramonium, I'd guess. Unless she eats it or sticks
her hands in her mouth having dug it up and burned it, it won't harm
her. But yes, it's poisonous but to be honest, so are many garden
plants. ...

Thanks for your help, not quite as deadly as the TV suggested
also found this, as you kindly gave it a name?
http://tinyurl.com/mx9ta7

we are all doomed! if you believe the TV and newspapers

If young children have access to the plant I would pull it up now. Children
are very sensitive to atropine-like alkaloids.

Oh, God, nanny them harder :-(

Once you leave Pudding Island and head south, it becomes one of the
most common casual weeds - it was ubiquitous where I grew up, and
I never even heard of anyone having trouble. There are FAR more
dangerous plants (to very young children) that are widely grown or
self-sown in British gardens.

For example, most of the sumachs and Euphorbias (including that
pestilential nuisance petty spurge) can cause permanent eye damage
if a child gets sap onto their hands and then rubs their eyes.
But even that almost never happens.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 28-09-2009, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-09-27 23:08:28 +0100, Mark said:

[...]

The papers do go a bit silly over such things, often because they don't
actually know anything about them! We saw some tv programme about that
chap with a castle going into ecstasies because an incredibly 'rare'
whatever-it-was had bloomed for the first time. It's been blooming
here for about 20 years! ;-)

Old 28-09-2009, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 12:04:43 +0100, Sacha wrote:

The papers do go a bit silly over such things, often because they don't
actually know anything about them!

But the Daily Mail knows everything

Steve

Old 28-09-2009, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-09-28 12:38:47 +0100, Stephen Wolstenholme
said:

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 12:04:43 +0100, Sacha wrote:

The papers do go a bit silly over such things, often because they don't
actually know anything about them!

But the Daily Mail knows everything

Steve

Of course it does, silly moi.

Old 28-09-2009, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
Mark wrote:
Sacha wrote:

[...]

Children seem to have an amazing ability to eat things which to adults smell
or taste quite disgusting.

Here is a quote from a paper:
A Three Year Study of Drugs, Chemicals and Plants Poisoning in Children
The 502 poisoning cases referred to the Children Medical Center and Asad
Abady Hospital in Tabriz over three years (1994 -1996) were evaluated
retrospectively...
Ingestion of hydrocarbons was the most common cause of poisoning (25.5%),
followed by Datura stramonium (13.5%)...

It's true that the mortality rate is very low, but why risk it for an
unattractive, smelly plant?

--
Jeff