Old 30-09-2009, 11:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default what to do with unwanted turnips?

OhioGuy wrote:
Two years ago, I bought "kale" seeds in bulk from a local hardware
store. About 2/3 of what came up was turnips, which are usually hot
tasting (like a radish), and I don 't really like that. (yes, I told
the store about the issue at the time)

Well, this year, around August 12 or so, I went back and asked to
make sure that these were new seeds, and not the same old stock.
They assured me they were. Guess what? about 3/4 of what came up
were turnip plants, and only 1/4 were the kale I wanted. Now I have
lots of turnips that have usable roots a bit bigger than nice sized
radishes, and loads of greens. (a groundhog ate my kale off about 4"
up from the base - I don't know if they will recover) The groundhog,
of course, didn't bother the turnips at all.

So what can we do with all of these turnip greens? Does anyone have
a good casserole type dish recipe that we can make using a good
amount of the turnip greens? Thanks!

Horse or cattle feed.

David