Old 03-10-2009, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Preserving runner bean seeds?

"David in Normandy" wrote...
I don't want to use freezer space, which is limited. Last year I put some
in a sealed plastic container in a cool dry place and when I looked at them
in Spring the whole lot had gone mouldy, despite being "dry" when stored.

What is the best way to prepare / store them? I'm wondering if this will
work: Since they are too small to put in string bags I'm considering
putting meal sized portions in spouses old tights and hanging them in the
attic. They should be cool and airy there and hopefully not go mouldy. If
suspended from a wire the mice should not be able to scoff them either -
unless they can walk a tight rope ;-) Any other suggestions for preserving
them?

The cotton bags that banks use for bulk coins work beautifully for storing
dry beans, we have some red kidney and some Coco Bicolour that we have had
for a few years now and they are still ok.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden