Old 03-10-2009, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Preserving runner bean seeds?

I don't want to use freezer space, which is limited. Last year I put
some in a sealed plastic container in a cool dry place and when I looked
at them in Spring the whole lot had gone mouldy, despite being "dry"
when stored.

What is the best way to prepare / store them? I'm wondering if this will
work: Since they are too small to put in string bags I'm considering
putting meal sized portions in spouses old tights and hanging them in
the attic. They should be cool and airy there and hopefully not go
mouldy. If suspended from a wire the mice should not be able to scoff
them either - unless they can walk a tight rope ;-) Any other
suggestions for preserving them?

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David in Normandy wrote:
I don't want to use freezer space, which is limited. Last year I put
some in a sealed plastic container in a cool dry place and when I
looked at them in Spring the whole lot had gone mouldy, despite being
"dry" when stored.

What is the best way to prepare / store them? I'm wondering if this
will work: Since they are too small to put in string bags I'm
considering putting meal sized portions in spouses old tights and
hanging them in the attic. They should be cool and airy there and
hopefully not go mouldy. If suspended from a wire the mice should not
be able to scoff them either - unless they can walk a tight rope ;-)
Any other suggestions for preserving them?

The beans may have been dry, but the air in the container will have
contained moisture. I will be storing mine in unsealed envelopes in a cool
dark place.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 03-10-2009, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote in message

David in Normandy wrote:
I don't want to use freezer space, which is limited. Last year I put
some in a sealed plastic container in a cool dry place and when I
looked at them in Spring the whole lot had gone mouldy, despite being
"dry" when stored.

What is the best way to prepare / store them? I'm wondering if this
will work: Since they are too small to put in string bags I'm
considering putting meal sized portions in spouses old tights and
hanging them in the attic. They should be cool and airy there and
hopefully not go mouldy. If suspended from a wire the mice should not
be able to scoff them either - unless they can walk a tight rope ;-)
Any other suggestions for preserving them?

The beans may have been dry, but the air in the container will have
contained moisture. I will be storing mine in unsealed envelopes in a cool
dark place.

And me too!

I don't thnk freezing them will help at all.

Alan

Old 03-10-2009, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote...
I don't want to use freezer space, which is limited. Last year I put some
in a sealed plastic container in a cool dry place and when I looked at them
in Spring the whole lot had gone mouldy, despite being "dry" when stored.

What is the best way to prepare / store them? I'm wondering if this will
work: Since they are too small to put in string bags I'm considering
putting meal sized portions in spouses old tights and hanging them in the
attic. They should be cool and airy there and hopefully not go mouldy. If
suspended from a wire the mice should not be able to scoff them either -
unless they can walk a tight rope ;-) Any other suggestions for preserving
them?

The cotton bags that banks use for bulk coins work beautifully for storing
dry beans, we have some red kidney and some Coco Bicolour that we have had
for a few years now and they are still ok.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden