Old 04-10-2009, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Japonica as a fruit

It's that time of year again ....

Here is something that I have drafted. Comments appreciated, and
anyone may use the text for any reasonable purpose.

"Japonica" is the fruit of any of the Chaenomeles (usually C. speciosa,
C. japonica or C. x superba, in the UK), also known as Japanese quince.
The fruits are very hard and extremely sour, even when fully ripe
(usually in October), and keep for ages - there are often some usable
ones still lying on the ground in March. They have a lot of seeds, and
removing them and the "toenails" is tedious. They are aromatic, but not
nearly as much as the true quince (Cydonia oblonga).

They are usually grown for their flowers, and are almost trouble-free,
except for occasional fireblight. They are natural shrubs, often sucker
readily, and dead branches should be cut out at or below ground level.
They flower on old wood, but can get hacked back hard when they get out
of hand. Established plants fruit readily, and few people use it, so
asking for it from anyone with a japonica in their front garden who has
not collected the fruit by November will usually be met by "take as much
as you like".

They can be used in most recipes instead of either apple or quince, but
need more sugar for sweet ones. They do well instead of quince in
Persian and Morrocan lamb dishes. They can be used from whenever they
ripen onwards.

They make a rock-hard jelly and fruit cheese; those will keep for many
years, as they are very high in acid and pectin.

Baked (whole, uncored) japonica is an interesting alternative to apple
sauce to go with pork.

Attempting to eat one raw is a memorable experience.

The following recipes are recommended to people who think that most
commercial chutneys and pickles are produced under licence from the
recipe owner Wimps 'R' Us.

Hot Japonica Chutney
--------------------

This is adapted from David and Rose Maybey's recipe for apple chutney in
Jams, Pickles and Chutneys.

3-4 pounds japonica, with seeds and "toenails" removed and cut into
pieces; I don't feel that peeling them is necessary
2-3 pounds onions, coarsely chopped
1 pound sultanas or raisins
Juice and grated rind of 2 lemons
1.5 pounds demerara sugar, though granulated will do
1 pint good malt vinegar
Chopped chillis to taste

Cook everything except the sugar gently until soft, add the sugar and
continue until thick, then pot, cover and leave for a while before
using.

It just isn't feasible to advise on the number of chillis and whether to
seed them first, as some people like just a hint of heat and others like
something that takes the roof of your mouth. And, of course, chillis
vary immensely. Start with a few, taste as you cook, and add more if
you feel it needs them.

Pickled Japonica

Peel and core some japonica, cut into slices, and loosely fill a jar.

Make up a suitable white wine or cider vinegar mixture, bring to the
boil and pour over the japonica. Cover and leave for a while before
using.

I used whatever spices took my fancy (e.g. a bit of mace), some chillis,
very little salt and no sugar. Well, I liked them, but I regard lemons
as a table fruit, jalapenos as a vegetable and have low salt-tolerance.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.