Old 04-10-2009, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Japonica as a fruit

It's that time of year again ....

Here is something that I have drafted. Comments appreciated, and
anyone may use the text for any reasonable purpose.

"Japonica" is the fruit of any of the Chaenomeles (usually C. speciosa,
C. japonica or C. x superba, in the UK), also known as Japanese quince.
The fruits are very hard and extremely sour, even when fully ripe
(usually in October), and keep for ages - there are often some usable
ones still lying on the ground in March. They have a lot of seeds, and
removing them and the "toenails" is tedious. They are aromatic, but not
nearly as much as the true quince (Cydonia oblonga).

They are usually grown for their flowers, and are almost trouble-free,
except for occasional fireblight. They are natural shrubs, often sucker
readily, and dead branches should be cut out at or below ground level.
They flower on old wood, but can get hacked back hard when they get out
of hand. Established plants fruit readily, and few people use it, so
asking for it from anyone with a japonica in their front garden who has
not collected the fruit by November will usually be met by "take as much
as you like".

They can be used in most recipes instead of either apple or quince, but
need more sugar for sweet ones. They do well instead of quince in
Persian and Morrocan lamb dishes. They can be used from whenever they
ripen onwards.

They make a rock-hard jelly and fruit cheese; those will keep for many
years, as they are very high in acid and pectin.

Baked (whole, uncored) japonica is an interesting alternative to apple
sauce to go with pork.

Attempting to eat one raw is a memorable experience.

The following recipes are recommended to people who think that most
commercial chutneys and pickles are produced under licence from the
recipe owner Wimps 'R' Us.

Hot Japonica Chutney
--------------------

This is adapted from David and Rose Maybey's recipe for apple chutney in
Jams, Pickles and Chutneys.

3-4 pounds japonica, with seeds and "toenails" removed and cut into
pieces; I don't feel that peeling them is necessary
2-3 pounds onions, coarsely chopped
1 pound sultanas or raisins
Juice and grated rind of 2 lemons
1.5 pounds demerara sugar, though granulated will do
1 pint good malt vinegar
Chopped chillis to taste

Cook everything except the sugar gently until soft, add the sugar and
continue until thick, then pot, cover and leave for a while before
using.

It just isn't feasible to advise on the number of chillis and whether to
seed them first, as some people like just a hint of heat and others like
something that takes the roof of your mouth. And, of course, chillis
vary immensely. Start with a few, taste as you cook, and add more if
you feel it needs them.

Pickled Japonica
----------------

Peel and core some japonica, cut into slices, and loosely fill a jar.

Make up a suitable white wine or cider vinegar mixture, bring to the
boil and pour over the japonica. Cover and leave for a while before
using.

I used whatever spices took my fancy (e.g. a bit of mace), some chillis,
very little salt and no sugar. Well, I liked them, but I regard lemons
as a table fruit, jalapenos as a vegetable and have low salt-tolerance.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

Interesting, useful andinformative! Is it goint to be added to the
FAQs? We often get people enquiring about the differences between the
two quinces.

Thanks! It could be, which is why I added the paragraph at the
beginning. I could add a short paragraph on what a true quince is
like.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

Good thinking, Batman. ;-) And while on the FAQ subject, do you think
it would be a good idea to make a small addition to your compost FAQ
about the slow release fertiliser pellets found in commercial compost
used in nurseries and gcs? Again, it's something that comes up from
time to time here with newcomers wondering what they are and worrying
that they're insect eggs. And also - perhaps - a bit about the
problems of weed killer in horse and cow manure? Up to you, naturally.

Good points.

Who's maintaining it? I have lost track.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 05-10-2009, 03:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
RG wrote:

Nick, I have created a new page with your text. Could you check it please?

One small suggestion from me - would it be better to start the introduction
as
"Japonica" is the plant or fruit of..." ?

Oops. Race condition. I have redrafted it enirely to clarify what
is going on - mainly the relationship between true quince and others.
Could you send me some Email, so I can respond directly? My Email
address is real.

Please suggest some text for the compost addition and I will insert it.

Got that. I will do that at the same time.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-04 15:04:13 +0100, said:

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

Good thinking, Batman. ;-) And while on the FAQ subject, do you think
it would be a good idea to make a small addition to your compost FAQ
about the slow release fertiliser pellets found in commercial compost
used in nurseries and gcs? Again, it's something that comes up from
time to time here with newcomers wondering what they are and worrying
that they're insect eggs. And also - perhaps - a bit about the
problems of weed killer in horse and cow manure? Up to you, naturally.

Good points.

Who's maintaining it? I have lost track.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

David Rance has bravely taken on that mantle assisted by his er, assistant!
--

OK Sacha I did see this and will attend to it shortly...

And here am I trying to be discreet and tactful. Ah well - another
exam failed. ;-))
--

No worries!
When you *really* upset me I'll set my Spider on you

HA! I read only yesterday that putting conkers on window sills keeps
spiders at bay! For Spiders I may have to lug half a branch indoors -
but then I wouldn't want to keep that Spider at bay. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 06-10-2009, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
In article ,
RG wrote:

Nick, I have created a new page with your text. Could you check it please?

One small suggestion from me - would it be better to start the
introduction
as
"Japonica" is the plant or fruit of..." ?

Oops. Race condition. I have redrafted it enirely to clarify what
is going on - mainly the relationship between true quince and others.
Could you send me some Email, so I can respond directly? My Email
address is real.

Please suggest some text for the compost addition and I will insert it.

Got that. I will do that at the same time.

Revised FAQs for Japonica and Compost now uploaded.

http://www.u-r-g.co.uk/urgfaqs.htm

RG