Old 04-10-2009, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Japonica as a fruit

On 2009-10-04 12:54:17 +0100, said:

It's that time of year again ....

Here is something that I have drafted. Comments appreciated, and
anyone may use the text for any reasonable purpose.

"Japonica" is the fruit of any of the Chaenomeles (usually C. speciosa,
C. japonica or C. x superba, in the UK), also known as Japanese quince.
The fruits are very hard and extremely sour, even when fully ripe
(usually in October), and keep for ages - there are often some usable
ones still lying on the ground in March. They have a lot of seeds, and
removing them and the "toenails" is tedious. They are aromatic, but not
nearly as much as the true quince (Cydonia oblonga).
snip

Interesting, useful andinformative! Is it goint to be added to the
FAQs? We often get people enquiring about the differences between the
two quinces.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com