Old 06-10-2009, 12:45 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default What kind of products should I put on the lawn?

On Oct 5, 9:35*am, Jim wrote:
Herb Eneva wrote:
* Since I got chewed out by lawn guy I`ll try another post with more
info. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * I would like to know what to put
down on my lawn now and also next spring.
I am in central Va. and the soil is mostly red clay and is slightly
acidic. The grass is mostly fescue and rye with a few unknown weeds that
I keep cut to about 3 in. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * I hope
this is enough info. Thanks for an answer.

I have always had a good success rate by first concentrating on correcting
the pH. *since you mention your soil to be "slightly acidic" I would recommend
you start with lime, granular lime. *usually obtained at Lowes at a cost of
around $3.99 for a 40 pound bag. *

as for a feeding guide take a look at this reference. *

http://www.super-sod.com/info-guide-fescue.html

this is not a recommendation for their products.

You can buy a test kit at many garden centers that will test for PH.
Then you can figure out how much lime to put down. I recommend the
pelletized limestone type, not the pullverized powder.

The weeds you can spot treat with Weed B Gone or similar using a tank
sprayer.

And apply a Fall type fertilizer in the next couple of weeks