Old 05-10-2009, 01:34 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default What kind of products should I put on the lawn?

Since I got chewed out by lawn guy I`ll try another post with more
info. I would like to know what to put
down on my lawn now and also next spring.
I am in central Va. and the soil is mostly red clay and is slightly
acidic. The grass is mostly fescue and rye with a few unknown weeds that
I keep cut to about 3 in. I hope
this is enough info. Thanks for an answer.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:35 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Herb Eneva wrote:

Since I got chewed out by lawn guy I`ll try another post with more
info. I would like to know what to put
down on my lawn now and also next spring.
I am in central Va. and the soil is mostly red clay and is slightly
acidic. The grass is mostly fescue and rye with a few unknown weeds that
I keep cut to about 3 in. I hope
this is enough info. Thanks for an answer.

I have always had a good success rate by first concentrating on correcting
the pH. since you mention your soil to be "slightly acidic" I would recommend
you start with lime, granular lime. usually obtained at Lowes at a cost of
around $3.99 for a 40 pound bag.

as for a feeding guide take a look at this reference.

http://www.super-sod.com/info-guide-fescue.html

this is not a recommendation for their products.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:45 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Oct 5, 9:35*am, Jim wrote:
Herb Eneva wrote:
* Since I got chewed out by lawn guy I`ll try another post with more
info. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * I would like to know what to put
down on my lawn now and also next spring.
I am in central Va. and the soil is mostly red clay and is slightly
acidic. The grass is mostly fescue and rye with a few unknown weeds that
I keep cut to about 3 in. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * I hope
this is enough info. Thanks for an answer.

I have always had a good success rate by first concentrating on correcting
the pH. *since you mention your soil to be "slightly acidic" I would recommend
you start with lime, granular lime. *usually obtained at Lowes at a cost of
around $3.99 for a 40 pound bag. *

as for a feeding guide take a look at this reference. *

http://www.super-sod.com/info-guide-fescue.html

this is not a recommendation for their products.

You can buy a test kit at many garden centers that will test for PH.
Then you can figure out how much lime to put down. I recommend the
pelletized limestone type, not the pullverized powder.

The weeds you can spot treat with Weed B Gone or similar using a tank
sprayer.

And apply a Fall type fertilizer in the next couple of weeks
Old 06-10-2009, 01:58 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

trader4 wrote:

Jim wrote:
Herb Eneva wrote:

[...]

I am 100% with you on the pelletized limestone type. some, myself
included call it granular.

The weeds you can spot treat with Weed B Gone or similar using a tank
sprayer.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/agricul...1-gal--4201519
I received outstanding results this year by using Trimec Post-emergent
broadleaf weed control. at $24.99 for a 1 gallon container with a
mix ratio of 2 ounces to a gallon of water I found this to be one
of the best dollar values I've experienced.

this site can provide some product information.
http://www.pbigordon.com/professiona...des_trimec.php

And apply a Fall type fertilizer in the next couple of weeks

Old 06-10-2009, 10:44 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Herb Eneva wrote:

Since I got chewed out by lawn guy I`ll try another post with more
info. I would like to know what to put
down on my lawn now and also next spring. I am in central Va. and the
soil is mostly red clay and is slightly acidic. The grass is mostly
fescue and rye with a few unknown weeds that I keep cut to about 3 in.
I hope this is enough info. Thanks for an
answer.

Learn the names of the weeds that you have. Then you can learn which weed
killers will be the most effective for you lawn.

This site has photos of quite a few weeds, and it also lists the effective
herbicides.

http://www.msuturfweeds.net/browse-by-name/

If you have bare or thin spots, Fall is the best time to seed. But, if you
have to perform leaf removal, you might want to wait until you're done
with that.

--
Tony Sivori