Old 06-10-2009, 01:58 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim[_19_] Jim[_19_] is offline

Default What kind of products should I put on the lawn?

trader4 wrote:

Jim wrote:
Herb Eneva wrote:

I would like to know what to put
down on my lawn now and also next spring.
I am in central Va. and the soil is mostly red clay and is slightly
acidic. The grass is mostly fescue and rye with a few unknown weeds that
I keep cut to about 3 in.
I hope this is enough info. Thanks for an answer.

I have always had a good success rate by first concentrating on correcting
the pH. since you mention your soil to be "slightly acidic" I would recommend
you start with lime, granular lime. usually obtained at Lowes at a cost of
around $3.99 for a 40 pound bag.

as for a feeding guide take a look at this reference.

http://www.super-sod.com/info-guide-fescue.html

this is not a recommendation for their products.

You can buy a test kit at many garden centers that will test for PH.
Then you can figure out how much lime to put down. I recommend the
pelletized limestone type, not the pullverized powder.

I am 100% with you on the pelletized limestone type. some, myself
included call it granular.

The weeds you can spot treat with Weed B Gone or similar using a tank
sprayer.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/agricul...1-gal--4201519
I received outstanding results this year by using Trimec Post-emergent
broadleaf weed control. at $24.99 for a 1 gallon container with a
mix ratio of 2 ounces to a gallon of water I found this to be one
of the best dollar values I've experienced.

this site can provide some product information.
http://www.pbigordon.com/professiona...des_trimec.php

And apply a Fall type fertilizer in the next couple of weeks