Old 07-10-2009, 08:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dan L. Dan L. is offline

Default Is it wise to "stagger" tomato plantings?

In article ,
"George.com" wrote:

"gunner" wrote in message
access...

"Suzanne D." wrote in message
I planted all my tomato seeds within a week or two this spring, and
planted the seedlings within a few weeks as well. Over the summer we got
tons of tomatoes, and then despite my misting the plants, our 100+
temperatures in August sort of wiped them out. The vines are still
growing, and now that temps are cooler we seem to have a little more
flowering and fruiting activity, but overall the vines just look pooped.

I am wondering if there would be any value to starting 1/2 or even 1/3 of
my seeds in the spring, and starting more a month or two later, so that I
could plant some young plants very early, plant some a bit later, and
then plant some in mid-summer. I know that tomatoes generally produce
until frost, but I wonder if I would have more luck with continuously
planting new, fresh plants several times rather than doing one big
planting in the spring. Do younger tomato plants typically have better
production than older ones?
--S.

Yes, staggering dates can help you get more yield, just remember there
are many other growth regulating factors at play.
Staggering crops as well as varieties can be part of a good game plan.
Here is one link:
http://www.tomatogardeningguru.com/planting.html

Staggering plants will avoid the all at once glut that comes when all plants
are in full production all at once. However, how many tomatos do you need at
any one time & what will you do with any excess. I find tha plantingall at
once, I still generally have enough tomatos to scoff right up to they all
start dying off (though I do use a polytunnel as well as outside) and the
peak season glut I can process all at once and sauce or batch freeze and use
later. I might try putting in a plant or 2 a little later this summer & see
if I get it peaking when the others are tailing off a little. I always plant
too many for own use anyway & end up giving some to family & neighbours.

rob

Same here Rob

For tomatoes, I tend to plant all at once. I do plant different
varieties of tomatoes that come in at different times. Early Girls and
Cherry 100's come in first, Romas come in next then beefsteaks. I am now
into canning/food preserving and I like my tomatoes of each variety to
come in at once. Some tomatoes like the Early Girls and Cherry 100's
produce all summer long. Some tomatoes like the Romas and Beefsteaks
come in all at once. With different varieties I tend get fresh tomatoes
throughout the summer.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.