Old 08-10-2009, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Foliage dahlia for Sacha

On 2009-10-07 09:59:54 +0100, Dave Hill sa

id:

On 2009-10-06 18:04:26 +0100, Dave Hill

sa
id:

Easlier in the year I posted a picture of a dahlia with interesting
foliage
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...afoliage01.jpg
Sacha asked what the flowers were like.
Well here are 2 pictures of the flowers taken over the weekend
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...iagesemiLilac0.

..
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...iagesemililac0.

..
It is standing at around 5ft now, but is close planted.
David Hill
2nd time of posting

Beautiful, David, really lovely. Will you check on PBR for it? *Is i

ts
parentage D. excelsa because it has a look of that?
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.

I dont know the parentage but excelsa could be part, I don't know
where the foliage colour comes from I don't have anything else
similar.

Something that's gone off and made its own mind up then.

As fpr PBR I don't think that for dahlias they are realy a lot of use,
not if you want a variety to realy take off.
The RHS have asked for info on Abacus Sol rewith a chance of it going
into their trials; if I'm lucky; It has recieved to Blue Ribbons in
the US of A so will now make the American Dahlia Society lists and is
in the Welsh trials.http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff82/taffy4u2/da

hli
asAbacusSolflies01.jpg

Can't open that, for some reason.

I am planning on sending Wisley stock of 2 tree dahlia hybrids for
them to try.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...liaapricot.jpg

That is a *fabulous* colour and I would have thought rather unusual? *
It's really wonderful.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...iaown06jpg.jpg

Another good and unusual colour and form, David. * I don't know much
about the subject but I wouldn't have though there were any others even
close to these?

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

We both wish you much luck with these - they're really lovely, very
unusual and a Dahlia lover's dream I should think.

Thanks Sacha
David

I may say that, despite a coldish spell here, considerable rain and
some strong winds, then back to warmth, your Dahlia excelsa is still
flowering here and looking very good. Of course it's coming to the end
of its season but what a long season that is and what a good plant this
is, David. There's plenty of colour still showing in our
beginning-of-autumn garden from this Dahlia and the height at which it
flowers makes it a real eye opener, if it has strong staking, at least
in our garden. We don't lift Dahlias here but just mulch them up a bit
and even after last winter, it came through and is flowering well in 3
different areas of our wet SW garden. Every time I look at that plant
I think of you and mentally thank you for giving it to us - it's a
treasure and we both love it.