Old 06-10-2009, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Foliage dahlia for Sacha

Easlier in the year I posted a picture of a dahlia with interesting
foliage
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...afoliage01.jpg
Sacha asked what the flowers were like.
Well here are 2 pictures of the flowers taken over the weekend
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...emiLilac03.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...emililac02.jpg
It is standing at around 5ft now, but is close planted.
David Hill
2nd time of posting
Old 06-10-2009, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote
Easlier in the year I posted a picture of a dahlia with interesting
foliage
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...afoliage01.jpg
Sacha asked what the flowers were like.
Well here are 2 pictures of the flowers taken over the weekend
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...emiLilac03.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...emililac02.jpg
It is standing at around 5ft now, but is close planted.

Did you breed it yourself David and are the flowers really a clear solid
pink as in the photos?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 06-10-2009, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

"Dave Hill" *wrote

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...iagesemiLilac0...
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...iagesemililac0...
It is standing at around 5ft now, but is close planted.

Did you breed it yourself David and are the flowers really a clear solid
pink as in the photos?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
just W. of London

I would describe it as between lilac pink and lavender pink, (A
blueish pink).
Get a different colour on each of my moniters so not easy to get a
definate colour
This may be closer http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...own06jpg-1.jpg
David Hill
Old 06-10-2009, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote
"Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote

Easlier in the year I posted a picture of a dahlia with interesting
foliage
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...afoliage01.jpg
Sacha asked what the flowers were like.
Well here are 2 pictures of the flowers taken over the weekend
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...iagesemiLilac0...
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...iagesemililac0...
It is standing at around 5ft now, but is close planted.

Did you breed it yourself David and are the flowers really a clear solid
pink as in the photos?

I would describe it as between lilac pink and lavender pink, (A
blueish pink).
Get a different colour on each of my moniters so not easy to get a
definate colour
This may be closer
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...own06jpg-1.jpg

Orchid Pink then. :-)
Nice looking plant.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 06-10-2009, 11:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-06 18:04:26 +0100, Dave Hill said:

Easlier in the year I posted a picture of a dahlia with interesting
foliage
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...afoliage01.jpg
Sacha asked what the flowers were like.
Well here are 2 pictures of the flowers taken over the weekend
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...emiLilac03.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...emililac02.jpg
It is standing at around 5ft now, but is close planted.
David Hill
2nd time of posting

Beautiful, David, really lovely. Will you check on PBR for it? Is its
parentage D. excelsa because it has a look of that?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 06-10-2009, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-06 22:47:30 +0100, "Bob Hobden" said:

"Dave Hill" wrote
"Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote

[...]

Wonderful 'in your face' colour. I really do like that a lot.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 2009-10-06 18:04:26 +0100, Dave Hill said:

Easlier in the year I posted a picture of a dahlia with interesting
foliage
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...afoliage01.jpg
Sacha asked what the flowers were like.
Well here are 2 pictures of the flowers taken over the weekend
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...iagesemiLilac0...
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...iagesemililac0...
It is standing at around 5ft now, but is close planted.
David Hill
2nd time of posting

Beautiful, David, really lovely. Will you check on PBR for it? *Is its
parentage D. excelsa because it has a look of that?
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

I dont know the parentage but excelsa could be part, I don't know
where the foliage colour comes from I don't have anything else
similar.
As fpr PBR I don't think that for dahlias they are realy a lot of use,
not if you want a variety to realy take off.
The RHS have asked for info on Abacus Sol rewith a chance of it going
into their trials; if I'm lucky; It has recieved to Blue Ribbons in
the US of A so will now make the American Dahlia Society lists and is
in the Welsh trials. http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...Solflies01.jpg
I am planning on sending Wisley stock of 2 tree dahlia hybrids for
them to try.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...liaapricot.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...iaown06jpg.jpg
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 07-10-2009, 11:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-06 18:04:26 +0100, Dave Hill sa

id:

[...]

Something that's gone off and made its own mind up then.

As fpr PBR I don't think that for dahlias they are realy a lot of use,
not if you want a variety to realy take off.
The RHS have asked for info on Abacus Sol rewith a chance of it going
into their trials; if I'm lucky; It has recieved to Blue Ribbons in
the US of A so will now make the American Dahlia Society lists and is
in the Welsh trials. http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff82/taffy4u2/dahli
asAbacusSolflies01.jpg

Can't open that, for some reason.

I am planning on sending Wisley stock of 2 tree dahlia hybrids for
them to try.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...liaapricot.jpg

That is a *fabulous* colour and I would have thought rather unusual?
It's really wonderful.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...iaown06jpg.jpg

Another good and unusual colour and form, David. I don't know much
about the subject but I wouldn't have though there were any others even
close to these?
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

We both wish you much luck with these - they're really lovely, very
unusual and a Dahlia lover's dream I should think.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 2009-10-06 18:04:26 +0100, Dave Hill sa

id:

South Devon- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Sacha
David
Old 08-10-2009, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2009-10-07 09:59:54 +0100, Dave Hill sa

id:

On 2009-10-06 18:04:26 +0100, Dave Hill

sa
id:

Easlier in the year I posted a picture of a dahlia with interesting
foliage
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...afoliage01.jpg
Sacha asked what the flowers were like.
Well here are 2 pictures of the flowers taken over the weekend
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...iagesemiLilac0.

..
[...]

I may say that, despite a coldish spell here, considerable rain and
some strong winds, then back to warmth, your Dahlia excelsa is still
flowering here and looking very good. Of course it's coming to the end
of its season but what a long season that is and what a good plant this
is, David. There's plenty of colour still showing in our
beginning-of-autumn garden from this Dahlia and the height at which it
flowers makes it a real eye opener, if it has strong staking, at least
in our garden. We don't lift Dahlias here but just mulch them up a bit
and even after last winter, it came through and is flowering well in 3
different areas of our wet SW garden. Every time I look at that plant
I think of you and mentally thank you for giving it to us - it's a
treasure and we both love it.